Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 11:00 AM

Markets - are we losing them?

Went into town, yestermorn, to the market in search of fresh vegs - was shocked and saddened at how diminished the market place has become. I normally only visit at weekends - and it is usually busy then - had no idea of how run down it had really become.

At least half of the available space has been taken over by long tables and benches surrounded by little wooden cabins selling 'street food' of various nationalities - only two of which were open.

A couple of cafes have commandeered space for outdoor tables to accommodate the smokers.

Of the rest - very few stalls were open for business - two local vegs, two handbags, one 'junk', one tee shirts, one mobile 'phone accessories and one general clothing. Lots of empty stalls.

It used to be such a thriving and interesting market - sad to see it now.

Thank goodness the Cheesemonger, Fishmonger and Butcher are still there!
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 11:24 AM

Re: Markets - are we losing them?

Here in London, there's lots of stalls selling fruit & veg cheap in certain Islamic areas, maybe close to a mosque.

Other areas are losing their market stalls, or, if they're still there, they're selling kinda gimmicky takeaways like pulled pork in a bun. Not cheap. Attractive-looking but tasteless bread with names like campagne sourdough.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 11:58 AM

We have a good one near where we live. It seems to be doing fine but we been here less than a year. Maybe there were more in the past.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 12:45 PM

Parking.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 12:47 PM

We had a very large market in a place called Heckmondwike, it used to cover the whole of the town and people used to come from miles around on coaches to visit Heckmondwike market. It's all gone now. Same in Cleckheaton, no market there anymore and was once a decent sized market. The only one we have fairly local to us now is Dewsbury but I don't go, it's mostly full of tack. The market is run by mostly Asians as Dewsbury has become an Asian community. Same for Bradford.

If I want to go to a market I quite like Skipton market, that's still thriving for now but all my local ones are about gone.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:17 PM

Of course we are Tabby, they're as old fashioned as a horse and cart. Doncaster had the largest market in south Yorkshire at one time but despite many attempts to revive it I fear it's days are numbered. Todger sums it up nicely....Parking!
That, plus Lidl and Aldi...The Germans are coming to a town near you!..
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Of course we are Tabby, they're as old fashioned as a horse and cart. Doncaster had the largest market in south Yorkshire at one time but despite many attempts to revive it I fear it's days are numbered. Todger sums it up nicely....Parking!
That, plus Lidl and Aldi...The Germans are coming to a town near you!..
Talking of parking, there was an altercation at Dewsbury market last week over a parking spot and a man got attacked by a man with a screwdriver!

https://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/n...ury-1-10206277
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 02:33 PM

Tavistock market seems to be thriving & Newton Abbot. The best Farmers market, going by a TV program, is in Bath.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 02:45 PM

As well as parking costs and probably a reduced number of people in the high streets generally, I wonder if the increasing costs of market pitches, similar to the increase in business rates on shops, could in any way be responsible?

Years' ago councils were increasing business rates and ensuring it cost to park a car. That as well as online shopping has, it's reckoned, gone towards the demise of high streets. Councils are responsible for the cost of market pitches, these too increase annually so that doesn't help market traders who are already finding trading difficult.

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/new...arket-14123703
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2020, 03:11 PM

Yes, sadly it's true of a lot of outdoor markets ST. My local town is classified as a 'market town' but the two days we have always had the outdoor markets have all but died a death.
As the three nearest towns to us - Wrexham, Shrewsbury and Welshpool are all a distance of 18 miles in all directions, we have long depended on the markets to get what we wanted on the two days they opened. There are hardly any stalls left now though, and we usually end up travelling to one of the above towns to get what we need. Thankfully, my usual fruit and veg stall is always there every Wednesday and Saturday.

Parking is a nightmare for the stallholders though. They were being booked for unloading to set up their stalls, so it's no wonder they don't return. Pedestrianisation, one-way traffic systems, market stall rates and cheap on-line websites are all instrumental in the downfall of market stalls. Sadly, a sign of the times, the same with our High Street Shops.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top