Join for free
Page 8 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 08:38 AM

Re: Why not keep it all in your own hands?

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
We ALL did Purwell, our riches were built on the back of Empire.

Legacies of Slavery
I have not seen much of it.
Racker
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Racker is male  Racker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh dear, you really are anti-British, aren't you? I suspected that all along. (.....)
Uptill now,I was under the impression *you* were British.... This remark places you an ocean further on, in the land where the guy that demonizes his opponent by phrases like "Lock her up".. Crooked Hillary......." can become President.. Am I right??
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Racker ->
Uptill now,I was under the impression *you* were British.... This remark places you an ocean further on, in the land where the guy that demonizes his opponent by phrases like "Lock her up".. Crooked Hillary......." can become President.. Am I right??
He is from Yorkshire they consider themselves better than anyone else in the British Isles.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I doubt this current generation would be up to the task if faced with a similar existential threat......Not a Chance!
As someone with family and friends in the Armed Forces I take offence to that.

Your cynical use of the 'Lest We Forget' phrase in your post to attempt to justify your political beliefs is another black mark against you.
'Lest We Forget' is a warning and a witness that the sacrifice of young vibrant youth , the flower of a nation, the waste of a whole generation is the price we pay for creating undemocratic dictatorships and allowing them to flourish.
That is not what "lest we forget" is about. The original message has been lost somewhat. European unity was all about preventing undemocratic dictatorships and creating a counter to such. But outside that unity we become vulnerable ourselves.
Racker
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Racker is male  Racker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 09:41 AM

The European mainland states can have their unity, after all they are the ones who, historically, have a tendency to invade one another and have territorial disputes.
I'm sorry to say, your perception of the modern world seems a little outdated to me. While Britain is and always physically will be an island, on a worldwide scale it is not. Economically there are no Islands anymore. Surrounding waters will no more protect a country nowadays, than an ancient city-wall from the days of old.

We can support them from across the channel but do not need to be dragged into their autocratic Empire.
This is, what I'd call typical "Island nearsightedness". Either in or out the EU, Britain will always be part of Europe. In the EU Britain will be part of decision- making. From outside the EU Britain will have to meekly follow. Before you start demonizing me as a "Remaniac": plse note that, as I said earlier: as a Dutchman I stand totally neutral between Brexiteers and Remainers.

Like JBR, I also take great offence to your ( and Purwell) ignorance of the British contribution to WW1 and WW2.
The sacrifices made by that generation deserve to be for ever lauded and celebrated. They saved us from Nazi ( German/Italian etc) domination..Of course they had help but I can't understand your motivation in disparaging their monumental sacrifice and suffering.
I doubt this current generation would be up to the task if faced with a similar existential threat......Not a Chance!
May I remind you (again), that WWII is seventy odd years behind us? You speak of the generation that actually DID fight against the Germans. That includes my own my (late) father, as I told you before. I'd strongly advise you to talk to the remaining members of *that* generation. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd learn, that the majority of those brave men and women are in favor of an united Europe. Maybe not in the way the EU has developed, but still: united; thus banning the threat of another European war...

Your cynical use of the 'Lest We Forget' phrase in your post to attempt to justify your political beliefs is another black mark against you.
Feeling a bit "Trumpy" today??
'Lest We Forget' is a warning and a witness that the sacrifice of young vibrant youth , the flower of a nation, the waste of a whole generation is the price we pay for creating undemocratic dictatorships and allowing them to flourish.
Exactly. Talk. Negotiate. Talk and negotiate again. Use your brain, not your fists... Let me quote one of my favorite Brits (who sadly perished by violence himself), that says it all:

Originally Posted by John Lennon

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion, too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace... You...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm simply setting you straight JBR. The Dutch and Germans don't owe the UK money for WWII.
Well permit me to set you straight. Where did I suggest that the Dutch and Germans owe us money?

I'm pleased to say that your constant arguments in favour of us remaining in the EU will never persuade me to change my mind. Similarly, the proportion of the British people who are in favour of Brexit continues to increase, so you are welcome to continue to bang your head against a wall as far as I'm concerned.

To be honest, I see no point in continuing this dialogue.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 03:47 PM

I was once very pro Scotland leaving the UK but that feeling has gone now.

I don't take much interest in Brexit.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 04:38 PM

It's all that pesky Realspeed's fault... Slipping in posts that sound just like JBR.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
As someone with family and friends in the Armed Forces I take offence to that.

Even Though you know exactly what I mean !!!!

That is not what "lest we forget" is about. The original message has been lost somewhat. European unity was all about preventing undemocratic dictatorships and creating a counter to such. But outside that unity we become vulnerable ourselves.
And yet the EU is the most undemocratic and dictatorial political entity in existence today in Western Europe. I respect absolutely the decision of the British people from all 4 corners of this great nation who came to the conclusion that the EU does not match their ideal of a peaceful, progressive and unifying entity.

..............aaaaaa
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Racker ->
I'm sorry to say, your perception of the modern world seems a little outdated to me. While Britain is and always physically will be an island, on a worldwide scale it is not. Economically there are no Islands anymore. Surrounding waters will no more protect a country nowadays, than an ancient city-wall from the days of old.

This is, what I'd call typical "Island nearsightedness". Either in or out the EU, Britain will always be part of Europe. In the EU Britain will be part of decision- making. From outside the EU Britain will have to meekly follow. Before you start demonizing me as a "Remaniac": plse note that, as I said earlier: as a Dutchman I stand totally neutral between Brexiteers and Remainers.

May I remind you (again), that WWII is seventy odd years behind us? You speak of the generation that actually DID fight against the Germans. That includes my own my (late) father, as I told you before. I'd strongly advise you to talk to the remaining members of *that* generation. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd learn, that the majority of those brave men and women are in favor of an united Europe. Maybe not in the way the EU has developed, but still: united; thus banning the threat of another European war...

Feeling a bit "Trumpy" today?? Exactly. Talk. Negotiate. Talk and negotiate again. Use your brain, not your fists... Let me quote one of my favorite Brits (who sadly perished by violence himself), that says it all:
Sadly, it turned out that Lennon was, indeed, a dreamer right up to the point where someone came out and fired a gun at him.

Not much negotiation and discussion there....!

Page 8 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top