Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 10:07 PM

Re: Penknives..

The current UK "legal carry" laws are reasonably simple.

The cutting edge of the blade cannot exceed 3" and the blade must be non locking - in other words, it must be incapable of being locked in the open position, requiring the movement of a catch, latch, liner etc to unlock it.

The thing you have to be careful of if you have one on you though, is that most police officers will measure the overall length of the blade and not the cutting edge. Therefore, to play safe, use one where the overall length of the blade does not exceed 3".

The first knife I posted is a case in point. The cutting edge is just short of 3", but overall length is 3 1/4 ". You'd get arrested (although it's actually legal carry). You could prove the point / legislation later, but you'd have had the inconvenience of your collar being felt first.
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 10:14 PM

I remember my husband used to have a small penknife on his car key ring, he used it for getting stones out of the car tyres lol
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->

The cutting edge of the blade cannot exceed 3" and the blade must be non locking - in other words, it must be incapable of being locked in the open position, requiring the movement of a catch, latch, liner etc to unlock it.

The thing you have to be careful of if you have one on you though, is that most police officers will measure the overall length of the blade and not the cutting edge. Therefore, to play safe, use one where the overall length of the blade does not exceed 3".

The first knife I posted is a case in point. The cutting edge is just short of 3", but overall length is 3 1/4 ". You'd get arrested (although it's actually legal carry). You could prove the point / legislation later, but you'd have had the inconvenience of your collar being felt first.
A stab from a 3" blade in the right place, for example into the heart under the bottom of the sternum, would result in death within seconds. Even a couple of inches could do it.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
A stab from a 3" blade in the right place, for example into the heart under the bottom of the sternum, would result in death within seconds. Even a couple of inches could do it.
Absolutely JB.

I was just stating what the "legal carry" laws are in case anyone was unaware.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 12:11 AM

I've got just an ordinary folding camping knife. 1 blade, bottle opener, corkscrew and something else which I don't really know - looks similar to the bottle opener to me
Sometimes I use it in the garden, otherwise its usually somewhere on the worktop for opening my post with.

I've also got a tiny one on my keyring, and a small, very old one that was my Grandads, with a mother of pearl handle.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->

I don't understand that Fender? Isn't the whole length of the underside of the blade a cutting edge then? Where exactly would you measure from?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I have a small Swiss Army penknife on my keyring, which I occasionally find most useful.

I remember some years ago going on a flight to Aberdeen and forgetting I had it on my keyring. The security people at Manchester Airport decided that its ONE INCH blade was dangerous on an aeroplane and confiscated it.

How they thought I was going to hijack an aeroplane with such a little thing, I don't know. I reckon a pen could have been more dangerous. 'Box ticking', I suppose.
Hi

I can never quite get my head round carry on restrictions, they remove a tiny thing like that and then give you an inflight magazine, otherwise known as a Millwall Brick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc-p22QPA3k

You can buy Tactical ballpoint pens as well.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 03:40 AM

I have carried a penknife since school until fairly recently when carrying one became a fairly risky exercise legally even though there are no legal restrictions on carrying any knife for camping/bushwalking for example.

Flick, butterfly, star, throwing knives and some ballistic knifes are prohibited imports but it is largely up to the police to interpret whether a knife is suitable in circumstances other than camping.

It has been illegal to sell any knife to someone under 16 for years.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 06:05 AM

It's not that small, it's about 5" long, but you are probably right, being an Army knife.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2016, 07:33 AM

Gone are the days of Scouts carrying a huge Sheath Knife hanging from their belts. Thank goodness!

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top