Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 12:40 PM

Chinese Take Aways

Companies that is, not noodles.

I was interested to learn that China owns or part owns vast swathes of UK companies including utilities.
For example Weetabix & Northumbria Water.

Should we be worried that with China's vast population & growing consumption this is the thin end of the wedge.

In passing I would add.

"The Office of Fair Trading estimates a third of the UK's water, telecoms, energy and transport networks are now owned by companies based overseas."

(Evening Standard)
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 01:32 PM

Re: Chinese Take Aways

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Companies that is, not noodles.

I was interested to learn that China owns or part owns vast swathes of UK companies including utilities.
For example Weetabix & Northumbria Water.

Should we be worried that with China's vast population & growing consumption this is the thin end of the wedge.

In passing I would add.

"The Office of Fair Trading estimates a third of the UK's water, telecoms, energy and transport networks are now owned by companies based overseas."

(Evening Standard)
That's because that silly sod Margaret Hilda (phth,phth,phth) privatised them and then allowed them to be sold off.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 06:35 PM

Well, uncle Joe thats certainly one comment worth noting.

Do you think the fact that we buy in shiploads of cheap Chinese goods, thus affording the CHinese, now awash in surplus cash, tremendous buying power has anything to do with it.?

The Chinese also own large expanses of Africa, in part to grow food for the boys at home, and also huge areas of Australia for exploitation of minerals & ore for building.

Cause for concern, in my humble opinion.

My apologies to the more discerning reader, for my poor sentence construction and grammar, I am a native of Hampshire, truly a Hampshire Hog.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 06:53 PM

I can believe anything now adays, nothing suprises me at all.I am glad I was born in 1933 because I wont have to live in this world for much longer.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

24-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Oh dear Annie,

I dont want to depress you by my post. I was just trying to find out the views of my peers in here on a topic which has concerned me for years.

I once met an ancient mariner (not THE ancient mariner) who entertained me and some pals in a local hostelry with tales of his adventures in the orient.

As the evening drew to a close, he confided in us, drawing us close to him he said.
It is written "The world will end in domination by a yellow skinned race & then by fire"

I have pored over the holy books of the major religions and faiths, cults & the books of the Theosophical society & others. I have failed to find such a prophesy written.

I wonder if these are the last days? Who was that old mariner?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2012, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Oh dear Annie,

I dont want to depress you by my post. I was just trying to find out the views of my peers in here on a topic which has concerned me for years.

I once met an ancient mariner (not THE ancient mariner) who entertained me and some pals in a local hostelry with tales of his adventures in the orient.

As the evening drew to a close, he confided in us, drawing us close to him he said.
It is written "The world will end in domination by a yellow skinned race & then by fire"

I have pored over the holy books of the major religions and faiths, cults & the books of the Theosophical society & others. I have failed to find such a prophesy written.

I wonder if these are the last days? Who was that old mariner?

ME!!!
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

24-09-2012, 08:09 PM

A marvel of serendipity Uncle Joe, even if if a tad too succinct.

"Of all the bars, in all the towns, in all the world" GOod grief UJ , we have met before.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

24-09-2012, 08:11 PM

This isnt going to plan folks.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

24-09-2012, 08:14 PM

Robert matey, in my youth I served a spell in the Merchant Marine - hence the 'ancient Mariner' being me as I'm now a decrepit oldie.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

24-09-2012, 08:49 PM

Uncle Joe, I was named after my fathers brother, Robert, of "Bob's yer uncle" notoriety.
I refer to myself as Robert Junior because he was such a rascal that I wanted , not to distance myself, more to identify myself as being a different person.

He was in the RN for 22 yrs & 32 in the MN, what tales he told us kids & what beautiful ladies were on his arm in photos. "Who are they Robert ? They be your cousins " I had cousins of different shade & hue all over the world.

No doubt you could tell a few tales yourself JOe.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top