Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2012, 03:00 PM

Re: Chinese Take Aways

I think Godwin's Law applies here.
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I think Godwin's Law applies here.
LOL! It's a common theme!
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2012, 11:23 PM

Do not like orental foods
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2012, 11:29 PM

Beam me UP Scotty.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK

27-08-2018, 08:01 PM

I said I wouldn't look back, but today is the day I joined this group way back in August 2012, the 27th to be precise.
Six of my best years in the esteemed company.

The post re China was one of my earliest threads.

I was more politically aware in those days, don't laugh.

Many of the names from 2012 are long gone, some to other pastures and others to Glory, Elysium or whatever

After 2012 came,
UBER
BITCOIN
INSTAGRAM
SELFIE STICK
SPOTIFY
WOKE
AIRBNB
SNAPCHAT
tesla
Ipad

Can we keep up?

Course we can!
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 02:08 AM

Companies that is, not noodles.

I was interested to learn that China owns or part owns vast swathes of UK companies including utilities.
For example Weetabix & Northumbria Water.

Should we be worried that with China's vast population & growing consumption this is the thin end of the wedge.

In passing I would add.

"The Office of Fair Trading estimates a third of the UK's water, telecoms, energy and transport networks are now owned by companies based overseas."

(Evening Standard)
RJ - having once lived in HK I have it on good authority that China is trying to buy up the world and then start shipping it's own population hither and thither cos they are over-polluted [and I bet you thought I was going to say over-populated? heh - the use of the pause button whilst reading is very handy!]
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 01:25 PM

Many of the names from 2012 are long gone, some to other pastures and others to Glory, Elysium or whatever

Course we can!
Thank you.

I do miss some of them especially Antibrown and a few others.

But an interesting fact is that UJ put his point of view over without sneering about the middle and right wing class but just put his left wing point over.

I think I will start brininging up the topics I started back in 2009 to bore you lot and start bringing up old posts that relate to are day and age.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 02:18 PM

UK has lost much of its manufacturing base and much of its technical expertise. My background was/is in the electrical/electronics sector. We manufactured equipment mainly for the process industries. Steel mills, paper making, anodising, water treatment works etc.

Almost all the components we used were sourced overseas although we bought them through UK distributors. Switchgear, push buttons, indicator lamps, fuses etc. were manufactured in India, carbon copies of European brands.

During my working lifetime I have seen several steel mills and paper mills close.Even our water supplier is no longer British owned. We seem to have priced ourselves out of the market.

A tale from the past. A paper mill in Grimsby closed down. A company in Taiwan bought one of the paper machines. This included some of the electrical equipment we, my company, had updated but much of the original kit dating from the 1950s remained. These included slate panel regulators. I'll spare the technicalities.

A local electrical company in Taiwan wanted to extend the system. But had no slate locally. What they had was marble. When I went back there a few years later there were these polished marble panels with gleaming brass studs. Most impressive.

That said, they "stole" a bit of British technology that was decades out of date
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 02:20 PM

clever bastards heh??
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
clever bastards heh??
Copy cats.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top