Join for free
Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 12:02 AM

Re: Penknives..

The trick Mups, is never let them get too blunt in the first instance - keep them topped up if you like.

Also, differing knives, blade thicknesses etc are sharpened at differing angles. A Swiss army knife for example is sharpened to what's called (approx) a 40 deg inclusive angle, or 20 deg each side.
You can tell a knife is sharp if it can slice a piece of paper easily.

Sharpening a knife to a razor edge actually takes considerable practice. It's difficult to explain really.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
The trick Mups, is never let them get too blunt in the first instance - keep them topped up if you like.

Also, differing knives, blade thicknesses etc are sharpened at differing angles. A Swiss army knife for example is sharpened to what's called (approx) a 40 deg inclusive angle, or 20 deg each side.
You can tell a knife is sharp if it can slice a piece of paper easily.

Sharpening a knife to a razor edge actually takes considerable practice. It's difficult to explain really.

Yes, I know they should be 'topped up' fender, but what if they're too far gone? Because I don't know what tools to use everything gets blunt sooner or later.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, I know they should be 'topped up' fender, but what if they're too far gone? Because I don't know what tools to use everything gets blunt sooner or later.
They are never too far gone Mups.

Have a look at the attached video.
Also, I need to place an order with one of my suppliers next week. If you bear with me and pm me your address, I'll send you a couple of things free of charge..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtSMCsWk2gw
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2017, 01:09 PM

I will have a look at the video first.
Thankyou fender, you're a sweetheart.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-04-2017, 12:24 AM

Hi fender, I have finally had chance to watch the video, and have made my bit of paper to 22 & half degrees like the man said.
I really feel I have achieved something already.

Now, where do I get those stones from, how do I know which to buy, and do I really need that bit of leather or not?

Ta muchly.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 11:09 AM

I bought an French Opinel knife after seeing a documentary on TV5 satellite channel.
See this short film about their production

https://youtu.be/KNELKUpH10k

I also have a version of a Swiss knife given to me by a Heidelberg company called Druva.

When in the Boy Scouts, I had two knives with their leather sheaths , one double edged and the other single edged.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 04:04 PM

I've always carried a knife of some sort and not always penknives. I had a sheaf knife on my belt for quite a few years in Australia. I carry an Opinel No.8 penknife with the stainless blade. Probably the best knife I've ever had for holding an edge but a lot of work to get the edge back if you let it go. I'll have to have a dig around and see what's hiding in the drawers.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2017, 07:13 PM

I found a few things around the place. The two pieces of rust I found metal detecting. The one on the righthand side is an Opinel. It looks a bit different to the one I use. The bottom right right is a barmans pocket knife which was given to me in New Zealand by a wine company. The Vitrinox in the middle was given as a present to my wife.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09193.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	3748  
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

26-08-2017, 08:14 PM

Nice find,

I ordered a Victorinox Forester today to add to my collection.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

27-08-2017, 03:07 PM

Arrived today - really impressed with this one..

Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top