Join for free
Page 7 of 12 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Re: Why not keep it all in your own hands?

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Did the average working man or woman get much from this Empire? Did they buggery!
We ALL did Purwell, our riches were built on the back of Empire.

Legacies of Slavery
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, if all the documentaries are to be believed, in 1945 the Dutch people couldn't be more pleased and grateful when our tanks rolled through their country and expelled the Germans.
hmmmm....Our tanks were bankrolled by US dollars. We would never have been able to fight the Nazis without US dough.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

But if all other European countries want the same things why do we need to be governed from Brussels, wouldn't a handshake suffice, and all the officials who control the trade in Europe sit down with each other and remove the boundaries that prevent the free movement of goods without having to sell our souls to do it.
A handshake is never gonna cut it with nations that were slitting each other's throats whenever the opportunity afforded for over 1,000 years.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
hmmmm....Our tanks were bankrolled by US dollars. We would never have been able to fight the Nazis without US dough.
Oh dear, you really are anti-British, aren't you? I suspected that all along.

I wonder how we managed to resist invasion by Nazi Germany before 1942. Did the Americans pay for our Spitfires and Hurricanes too?

And whoever paid for the tanks you seem to know so much about, who was manning them?

So, sorry to disappoint you, but the British fought for our survival with their lives, whoever paid for their equipment.

If you despise this land as much as you appear to do, why are you still here. There are some lovely places on the other side of the Channel.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-11-2017, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh dear, you really are anti-British, aren't you? I suspected that all along.

I wonder how we managed to resist invasion by Nazi Germany before 1942. Did the Americans pay for our Spitfires and Hurricanes too?

And whoever paid for the tanks you seem to know so much about, who was manning them?

So, sorry to disappoint you, but the British fought for our survival with their lives, whoever paid for their equipment.

If you despise this land as much as you appear to do, why are you still here. There are some lovely places on the other side of the Channel.
Oh really JBR get over yourself! Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me "an enemy of the people". You are not "the people". You are just JBR.

Winning WWII was a joint effort and hardly a British victory. As already mentioned the Soviet Union was the biggest player. The Battle of Britain was not a solely British victory either. 574 pilots taking part were from other countries.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 12:35 AM

Oh really JBR get over yourself! Just because I disagree with you doesn't make me "an enemy of the people". You are not "the people". You are just JBR.

Winning WWII was a joint effort and hardly a British victory. As already mentioned the Soviet Union was the biggest player. The Battle of Britain was not a solely British victory either. 574 pilots taking part were from other countries.
No, only an enemy of the Brexiteers.

The Battle of Britain was won mostly by British people and British Commonwealth people. Yes, there were also people who had escaped from places such as Poland. Moreover, whoever they were, they were all under the aegis and organisation of the RAF.

A simple question: why do you keep attempting to do down the British people?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

10-11-2017, 01:35 AM

I'm simply setting you straight JBR. The Dutch and Germans don't owe the UK money for WWII. That's a nonsense. I don't know where you get your ideas from but they are out of this world. If you start asking who owes the world reparations for wars in the past then many countries would be bankrupt. Germany have conveniently distanced themselves from such matters by saying that it was the Nazis wot did it. Russia says the same about Soviet crimes. It's nothing to do with Brexit payments so stop making desperate connections in substitution of a valid point.

WWII is why we desperately need peaceful European unity, lest we forget what happens when it breaks down just before Remembrance Day.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 07:27 AM

I'm simply setting you straight JBR. The Dutch and Germans don't owe the UK money for WWII. That's a nonsense. I don't know where you get your ideas from but they are out of this world. If you start asking who owes the world reparations for wars in the past then many countries would be bankrupt. Germany have conveniently distanced themselves from such matters by saying that it was the Nazis wot did it. Russia says the same about Soviet crimes. It's nothing to do with Brexit payments so stop making desperate connections in substitution of a valid point.

WWII is why we desperately need peaceful European unity, lest we forget what happens when it breaks down just before Remembrance Day.
The European mainland states can have their unity, after all they are the ones who, historically, have a tendency to invade one another and have territorial disputes.

We can support them from across the channel but do not need to be dragged into their autocratic Empire.

Like JBR, I also take great offence to your ( and Purwell) ignorance of the British contribution to WW1 and WW2.
The sacrifices made by that generation deserve to be for ever lauded and celebrated. They saved us from Nazi ( German/Italian etc) domination..Of course they had help but I can't understand your motivation in disparaging their monumental sacrifice and suffering.
I doubt this current generation would be up to the task if faced with a similar existential threat......Not a Chance!

Your cynical use of the 'Lest We Forget' phrase in your post to attempt to justify your political beliefs is another black mark against you.
'Lest We Forget' is a warning and a witness that the sacrifice of young vibrant youth , the flower of a nation, the waste of a whole generation is the price we pay for creating undemocratic dictatorships and allowing them to flourish.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 07:29 AM

Wasting your time Annie it's like talking to a spaniel!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
The European mainland states can have their unity, after all they are the ones who, historically, have a tendency to invade one another and have territorial disputes.

We can support them from across the channel but do not need to be dragged into their autocratic Empire.

Like JBR, I also take great offence to your ( and Purwell) ignorance of the British contribution to WW1 and WW2.
The sacrifices made by that generation deserve to be for ever lauded and celebrated. They saved us from Nazi ( German/Italian etc) domination..Of course they had help but I can't understand your motivation in disparaging their monumental sacrifice and suffering.
I doubt this current generation would be up to the task if faced with a similar existential threat......Not a Chance!

Your cynical use of the 'Lest We Forget' phrase in your post to attempt to justify your political beliefs is another black mark against you.
'Lest We Forget' is a warning and a witness that the sacrifice of young vibrant youth , the flower of a nation, the waste of a whole generation is the price we pay for creating undemocratic dictatorships and allowing them to flourish.
Hi

I have to disagree, we have a very professional and highly trained and committed Military and Security Service, much younger than we are.

I do not get this denigration of our younger generation.

Page 7 of 12 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top