Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 04:56 PM

Re: Ultra processed foods - link to cancer

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Had a good look at the objects in the shopping basket...even cooking from scratch bad use stuff like stock cube and flour etc....
That is right Ruthio, perhaps we should all eat raw fruit and veg, with maybe a boiled organic egg on Sundays!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 05:03 PM

I saw this in a paper about a week ago.
I believe they are blaming all the chemical additives, preservatives and sugars aren't they.

Years ago, when wives stayed at home, like my Grand did, they were expected to cook from scratch.
They did not have to travel to work, and they also did not have refrigerators and freezers to preserve food in, so they had to prepare fresh food regularly.
I can remember my Mum shopping for bits most days, not doing it weekly or monthly like we do nowadays.

Things change, and to keep the lifestyle they are accustomed to - like running two cars, holidays, decent food on the table, and clothing the kids, etc, many women work now as well as the men.
I believe this is why handy, quick convenience meals started, and were perhaps graterfully received by some.
They can also be convenient for one person alone.

I don't live on them by a long chalk, but I admit I always keep a few in the freezer for times when I don't feel like cooking just for one, or if I am in a hurry.

Half the trouble also is, consumers just will not read labels, and buy because of the nice picture on the front instead.
Doesn't occur to them what they are eating.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 07:02 PM

Yes it is true Mups. Now we use the Supermarkets, by the time we buy Fresh food it is days old, and all fruit and veg is sprayed with chemicals to make it last longer

Gone are the days of the Corner shop where the owner new you by name always had time for a chat. They sold Ham and Bacon on the bone and
Home backed real bread.and mostly local produce.

There are still Farmers Markets in some areas too.
We do have a private grocer in the next Village like 'Open All Hours.
where you can but things unavailable in the Supermarket.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
No surprise there really .
I haven't got anything to throw away, I don't eat processed food.
Spam is nice, fresh from the Spam tree
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Half the trouble also is, consumers just will not read labels, and buy because of the nice picture on the front instead.
Doesn't occur to them what they are eating.

It's also a big industry with a lot of money invested. Convenient for people to have no time and lose skills. How many here have made stock from scratch? It's so difficult to avoid this stuff, but maybe it is part of the difference in our lifestyles that's making us sick? I know so many people who have had cancer. Was it always like this? It's like an epidemic.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:20 PM

The only thing i think i eat to much of, which is probably ultra processed, is cheese.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:35 PM

I don't eat processed food except cheese since i.ve been on a healthy eating plan. I.ve lost a lot of weight since eating food from the ground and trees, pulses, beans, chicken, some lean meat, fish, nuts and eggs and I have to admit I don't feel as sluggish as I used to. Is that down to the food I eat or because i.ve lost a lot of weight and I exercise? I really don't know but like to think it's the healthy food that I eat. It annoys me how they put so much unnecessary fat and sugar in food.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Ive just had a cupasoup...here are the ingredients, so which of these is so dangerous?
Dried Glucose Syrup being the first ingredient is a tad worrying I'd day. Then there's sugar itself and then Caramelised sugar powder.

If I make a fresh batch of soup from veggies and water etc, I never put sugar in there. What you have there is a basic soup mix laden with sugars to fool your brain into thinking its a great product. All manufacturers are loading their products with sugar for that very reason. If it were legal to put cocaine in there they would throw lots of that in too.

Soup is so easy to make and so healthy if you put health boosting ingredients in, like garlic, ginger, turmeric and so on. Make a large batch and freeze it in portions. Ditch the packet stuff imo.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
It annoys me how they put so much unnecessary fat and sugar in food.
Ditto. It's criminal really and should be made illegal. Unfortunately the sugar conglomerates have the politicians in their pockets.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
It annoys me how they put so much unnecessary fat and sugar in food.
And salt.
If you make your own meals you can control how much, or how little, salt is going in there.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top