Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 03:21 PM

Any advice please /tips are welcome.

Any advice on any of my health problems please,Im fed up going to Hospital & want to help myself.Im told I have C.O.P.D/ Heart Failure/Fluid on the Lungs /Cancer & Arthritis.I get S.O.B Iget S.O.B very easy & every so often struggle to breathe, usually early morning on waking up,resulting in a call to 111 & a trip to A&E by ambulance,treated with a nebuliser/or oxygen then sent home a few hourr or days later
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 03:54 PM

Re: Any advice please /tips are welcome.

What about the breathing exercise course you were going on and then declared not fit enough?

Couldn't you find some on the internet & practice them at home. It might be best to ask your doctor if it's alright to do this.

All I can offer is my sympathy Deylon.x
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 04:02 PM

That's a very good idea what Carol has said Dylon.

I also have COPD and as a child I had collapsed Lungs.

I have an Inhaler for my COPD. Did they give you one?
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 04:06 PM

www.copdfoundation.org/.../Breathing-Techniques.aspx
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 04:21 PM

:I'd certainly suggest googling your ailments and seeking out some self help stuff you can do at home to ease nasty symptoms deylon. You sound as if you're drowning under so many things so look for ways to ease the burden however you can.
Good luck with whatever you find to help you. But do be positive and seek self help in the form of diet/pain relief and be kind to yourself...give yourself comfort and treats. It's an awful list of things you're having to cope with.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 04:21 PM

With heart failure it may be risky to do breathing exercises and that might be why you were turned down for the breathing class. Presumably they have put you on diuretics to reduce the fluid? Do they know where the cancer is? I did wonder before whether you might have cancer because you mentioned you might have ascites (or symptoms of ascites). But I didn't want to alarm you then.

Have they ruled out renal failure? It's very common at your age to be at some stage of kidney failure and it often goes with heart failure. My father had both along with diabetes. There are some ops that can help with heart failure but he refused as he didn't trust doctors at all.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 04:25 PM

I used to suffer from hay fever up until a few years ago and wouldn't often wake up in the early hours struggling to breath. An asthma sufferer I once knew taught me this.

Relax

Breath in very slowly through your nose inflating the bottom of your lungs first. As the bottom of your lungs fill with air, start to fill the top of your lungs until you can breath in no more.

Hold this for ten seconds if possible

Breath out by blowing through your mouth.

Repeat this ten times.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 05:07 PM

That's some range of conditions Deylon.

No magic cures obviously but ensuring your body and immune system are in the best shape they can be is surely going to help you cope.

My wife used to get bad arthritis in her hand joints, very painful. However she found that if she gave up gluten for 2-3 weeks it would disappear completely. I've also found that creams or gels that contain Capsicum (the stuff in Chilli Peppers) have fantastic ability to temporarily relieve the chronic pain. We use Glucosamine Gel from H&B but there are probably others.

The pain relief in hands, joints is almost immediate. My wife's aunt from Canada who had really painful lower back pain tried some and couldn't believe the rapid pain relief. She bought a whole bunch of tubes to take back to Canada with her.

For your general overall health it's important not to introduce any toxins or bad foods to your body. It has enough to cope with without also having to fight additional problems. Cut out sugar if you haven't already done so and eat good natural foods in their natural form, no processed stuff. Getting plenty of garlic, ginger and turmeric in your diet will likely help so long as your conditions and/or any medication you are on permit these foods.

Vitamins are vital for your immune system. Get plenty of the basic vitamins and be resolved to get them from Nature rather than pills and capsules. Fruits and vegetables are the best sources. Again, be sure that your conditions and any medications you are on permit the foods you eat.

For myself, I have plenty of lemons and grapefruits, plenty of garlic and ginger in the meals I cook. Not suitable for everyone though. People on Statins for example have to steer clear of grapefruits and so on.

The issue of natural Cancer treatments is controversial and you need to do your research. Personally I tend to believe in the power of a substance called Amygdalin which is found in various products of Nature. Broad Beans for example. It is present in many seeds including apricot kernels, apple seeds, plum seeds and pear seeds, the seeds of berries, grapes, strawberries and raspberries, flax seeds, squash seeds, millet seeds and buckwheat seeds. These are all foods of nature, yet the USA has set about banning some of them from stores. The reason is obvious to me personally (cancer is an ENORMOUS big business) but you have to do your own research and work it out for yourself. There are lots of scare stories out there likely deliberate to try and put people off. I regularly buy apricots, which are a lovely tasty fruit anyway and I save the stones inside them. Rinse them under water and then let them dry out on the windowsill for a few days. They can then be cracked open with a nut cracker which reveals the seeds inside which just look like almonds. They are bitter tasting due to the cyanic compound they contain but it is this very compound that is reputed to be of benefit. There's a limit to how many you should ingest so if you want to consider this option, read up on it.

Some good research here:
https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/apri...ls-for-cancer/

Like I said, start reading and learning the truth about what is going on in the world. The body is an amazing machine. Treat it well and let it do its thing. Put aside any notion of what "you" like to eat and don't like to eat.
None of that is of any relevance. YOU are not your body. You are more than your body and YOU need to rule your body rather than it be the other way around. Personal whims about hating a certain food or loving certain foods are childish expressions which we have to learn to put behind us. They are not important. The body is simply a machine, a fantastic machine and it needs the right fuel to work. You wouldn't put milk in your car if it could speak and said it fancied some milk. You KNOW that the car needs petrol or diesel to work properly. Your body is no different. Understand what it needs and give it what it needs. Take this seriously.

You have my sympathies on the breathing difficulties. When I got Whooping Cough a few years ago it affected me badly and I woke up on 2 occasions virtually unable to breath, gasping for air which wouldn't come and getting ready to collapse. Very unpleasant indeed. My Father In Law also had COPD and lung fluids so I understand how uncomfortable that is too.

Just do everything in your power to remove bad foods and toxins from your body and give it plenty of good stuff, bursting with vitamins and health promoting compounds.

ATB
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 05:08 PM

People on any medication should steer clear of grapefruits. They can increase the potency of the meds.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
People on any medication should steer clear of grapefruits. They can increase the potency of the meds.
Predictable to the last. Couldn't resist even though I already stated that he should check ALL his foods against his conditions and medications. Sad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top