Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:46 PM

Re: Probiotics in doubt?

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
No, not the Dorset muesli I buy. The only sugar is from the raisins. The pack says no added sugar, same as Alpen. They do make versions which they have added sugar to, though.
You need to ignore the "no added sugar" thing. It is totally irrellevant. Sugar is sugar no matter whether it's from raising or milk or anywhere else.

You need to look at the sugar content in the nutritional info.

Dorset Muesli is 12.2g per 100g of product.

One teaspoonful of sugar is 4g
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Of itself, NO it isn't good for you. It is loaded with sugars, natural or otherwise. Sugar causes all manner of problems. It is very likely the reason you "think" you love it. Sugar fools the brains pleasure receptors and that's why manufacturers stuff loads of sugar into all their products.

Here's the sugar content of yoghurts in teaspoonfuls

And heres a previous thread I started where all of this was discussed

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...hlight=yoghurt

Happy reading
Another misleading photo statistic. A representative version would be

natural yoghurt 8.6 teaspoons
Actimel 13 teaspoons
yakult 17.7 teaspoons
muller fruit corner 19.3 teaspoons

lactose has a lower GI than sucrose so again it's not comparable to look at different types of added sugar and make recommendations as if they are all the same.

Maltose GI= 105
Glucose/dextrose GI=100
Rice syrup GI=98
Sucrose GI=65
Lactose GI=46
Fructose GI=19
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 02:56 PM

You need to ignore the "no added sugar" thing. It is totally irrellevant. Sugar is sugar no matter whether it's from raising or milk or anywhere else.

You need to look at the sugar content in the nutritional info.

Dorset Muesli is 12.2g per 100g of product.

One teaspoonful of sugar is 4g
So surely then the sugar is from the oats and wheat and nuts that constitute muesli. Is it best to avoid muesli, then?

I'm wondering how healthy my breakfast of two pieces of brown bread toast with Clover and Marmite was.

I have been eating chocolate lately, though, and know that this is bad for me.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Another misleading photo statistic.
It's not in the least bit misleading. It shows the published amount of sugar, as written on the nutrition label of the product, simply displayed as teaspoonfuls where 1 teaspoonful = 4g. A simple pictorial representation that is easier for some to understand rather than lots of numbers.

lactose has a lower GI than sucrose so again it's not comparable to look at different types of added sugar and make recommendations as if they are all the same.
We're not looking at added sugar but regardless it makes no difference. At a chemical level sugars are the same.

The basic "simple sugars" are as follows (with their chemical formulae):

Glucose - a Monosaccharide - C6H12O6

Fructose - a Monosaccharide - C6H12O6

Galactose - a Monosaccharide - C6H12O6

The formula means they have 6 Carbon atoms, 12 Hydrogen atoms and 6 Oxygen atoms). They differ only in the specific arrangement of those atoms.

Most fruits and Vegetables contain roughly the same mix of Glucose and Fructose.

The Glucose part is processed by the generation of insulin and is what affects your blood sugar levels. Hence Glucose is known as "Blood sugar".

The Fructose part is processed in your liver using enzymes so no insulin is involved there but it is this fructose element that is often stored away as fat if your body has no immediate need for the energy it provides.

Galactose enters the liver, where it is mainly converted to glucose anyway. Galactose ingestion results in lower blood glucose and insulin levels than glucose ingestion itself.

Now let's look at the other sugars of which there are:

Lactose - a Disaccharide - C12H22O11

Sucrose - a Disaccharide - C12H22O11

Maltose - a Disaccharide - C12H22O11

Disaccharide basically means these molecules have 2 sugars in them which is why the chemical formula is double that of the simple sugars. They break down as follows:

Lactose = glucose + galactose

Sucrose = glucose + fructose

Maltose = glucose + glucose

You can't get away from the fact that all of these sugars are basically the same thing. Their chemical formula shows that implicitly.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 03:24 PM

It's not in the least bit misleading. It shows the published amount of sugar, as written on the nutrition label of the product, simply displayed as teaspoonfuls where 1 teaspoonful = 4g. A simple pictorial representation that is easier for some to understand rather than lots of numbers.

It's extremely misleading precisely because it's a simple pictorial representation that people will take at face value rather than noticing that the measurements being compared all differ. Anyone looking at that picture briefly will only see that natural yoghurt has the most teaspoons of sugar. It's not the first time you've posted something like this to shore up a point you're making.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

08-09-2018, 05:00 PM

It's extremely misleading precisely because it's a simple pictorial representation that people will take at face value rather than noticing that the measurements being compared all differ. Anyone looking at that picture briefly will only see that natural yoghurt has the most teaspoons of sugar. It's not the first time you've posted something like this to shore up a point you're making.
I seriously believe your obsession to try and refute my posts is compromising your judgement. It's sad to see.

My picture VERY CLEARLY shows the size of the yoghurt pots in every case.

It states in words VERY CLEARLY that "Each 100g pot contains" or "Each 150g pot contains"

There is not the slightest thing misleading about it. It shows clearly how much sugar is in each of those pots. And that is it's purpose. Many people find it confusing to see sugar content displayed on labels as "amount per 100g". What use is that.

What they need to know is, how much sugar is in the actual pot of Yakult or Actimel that I am about to eat?

And that's what the picture shows. It shows it honestly, openly and simply. Not the least bit misleading.

A 500g pot of yoghurt will of course have more sugar in it than a 100g pot of yoghurt. This is frankly puerile.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 06:17 PM

Probiotics are something l would never consider buying. I don’t really understand what they are and feel they are just another fad.
I see some elderly people at checkouts in supermarkets with a pile of them and not much else! I think they are expensive too?

I don’t like yogurt normally but l don’t mind adding Greek yogurt to a curry when l make one.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 06:23 PM

I think anyone going into it too deeply will probably die of starvation.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 06:45 PM

My G.P. actually recommended probiotic yogurts for me at a time when I was having alternating constipation and diarrhoea. One drink a day.

I think they helped or it could have been placebo.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2018, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
My G.P. actually recommended probiotic yogurts for me at a time when I was having alternating constipation and diarrhoea. One drink a day.

I think they helped or it could have been placebo.
Those Actimel ones are lovely.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top