Join for free
Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 01:17 AM

Re: The Me Too Movement and Me...and Possibly You

Originally Posted by Sage ->
Okay, so you've never been raped. Good. But some of us have. It's a serious problem. I don't have a band or a wagon. I just like to support people. It's a matter of compassion.
I'm just against the The Me Too Movement - it smacks too much of the Witches of Salem .....
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I'm just against the The Me Too Movement - it smacks too much of the Witches of Salem .....
well each to his own - I see it as women righting the balance of inequality over the ages for something men should not be proud of. I might just add that my father was also a gentleman when it meant respecting women. I and my brother were never allowed to 'gang up' on sis! I wonder whether there would be a ' Me Too Movement' for men if it was the other way around? when we consider the cases of the harvey weinstein and this lot?

the other accused?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 02:10 AM

I don't understand your suggestion that the Me too movement has similarities to the witches of salem - please explain? thanks
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I don't understand your suggestion that the Me too movement has similarities to the witches of salem - please explain? thanks
The Crucible is a 1953 play by American playwright Arthur Miller. It is a dramatized and partially fictionalized story of the Salem witch trials that took place in the Massachusetts Bay Colony during 1692/93. Miller wrote the play as an allegory for McCarthyism, when the United States government persecuted people accused of being communists.

McCarthyism is the practice of making accusations of subversion or treason without proper regard for evidence.
AFAIK, the the The Me Too Movement is all about accusations without proof and verdicts without fair trial.
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 03:21 AM

The old boy network supports the old boys and demonizes women and minorities. It's brutal and immature.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

17-09-2018, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sage ->
The old boy network supports the old boys and demonizes women and minorities. It's brutal and immature.
True.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia

17-09-2018, 05:02 AM

AFAIK, the the The Me Too Movement is all about accusations without proof and verdicts without fair trial.
any fair trial has to start with an accusation and for many women this can be the hardest step especially in the acting game. they could make the accusation privately but I think their anguish is so heightened that they feel a need to go public - maybe it's cathartic - cleansing - who knows but many with support choose that way. But it is still only an accusation and needs to go to court. Weinstein is being given a fair trial I would assume as will Bill Cosby - I don't see these as witch hunts ; I see them as a cathartic release as I have said and a cleansing perhaps but we should ask the women what their thoughts are surely?

In the case of children being abused as you have quite rightly pointed out on another thread - and these are still accusations until proven guilty they may have been living with these memories for many years and been emotionally and mentally affected [there is evidence of this in other ozzie cases]

maybe it's a case of do you see the glass half empty or half full. Sure there will be a few errors as Galty has obtusely pointed out [ remember galty your words brand you!], but overall I think this is a capped well that has been festering for decades and has now burst forth and will never be capped again by men for the wrong reason
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
well galty often doesn't express himself well but what he meant I think was this?

roxanne pallett

She's just a crazy mixed up kid like we all were once
Shes 35 years old..... and it seems from some of her old co workers she has worked with she has do this sort of thing before.

It was Lucky for Victim that it was caught on film.

She has destroyed her career over this
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 07:38 AM

Organised regimes about emotional issues always seem to complicate the issue.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2018, 08:16 AM

The problem is that rape hardly ever takes place where there are witnesses, so it is very hard to prove in court.... and of course any lawyer, that wants to earn good money, will use any tactics they can.

Most women will say they are too traumatized to go to the police, immediately after the event, but that is the best way to deal with it! If women want to get justice for what has happened, they must report the attack immediately and push their trauma & embarrassment to one side, just as you would have to do if you were stabbed or beaten!

I am sorry but I have no sympathy for women who report the rape later ( often after a few years), because they often have no hope of winning the case....and sometimes the rape hasn't ever happened.
If I was on a jury and had to decide whether the man concerned was guilty, I am afraid I would have to question why it wasn't reported immediately.

I fully support the belief that No means No, but if you want justice for the attack, you will get none if you need to take time to summon the courage to report it.

I applaud the ladies who did have the courage, because they are the ones who are making people take this crime more seriously!

Page 2 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top