Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 10:03 AM

Re: Bird Feeders

The RSPB cover the most salient points. https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wi...-a-bird-table/

Mi9ght add it depends on location as too the type of birds you will get, but it can take time for birds to find and trust a new location.

Make sure you can provide a source of water to drink and bathe in, it will help. Pieces of ripe fruit go down well with Blackbirds and Thrushes, and be prepared you will get pigeons starlings, magpies coming in, they have to eat as well.

Places for small birds to escape to are very important, good luck Tess.

Whats not to like, Starling one of Britains most stunning birds.

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 10:08 AM

I put stuff out but the birds have been less lately probaby due to the presence of builders ,sparrowhawks and buzzards around ..
The hawks are at least tidy just zoom in and out !
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:43 AM

I love starlings, I have to travel to Glastonbury to see any these days. Where have they all gone?
I know what to feed them, been doing it for years, it's the type of feeder I need to know about as I'm changing my whole system.
I wonder if I put a hanging wooden "table" with a roof on a bracket on the side of my shed, if it will be accessable to small birds and not so for big ones?
My hedge is about 8' tall but has a metal mesh fence running through it so birds can't easily hide in it.
Is it best to use plastic or are they difficult for birds to hang onto? Do they blow about too much?
Which is the best ones in your garden?
That's what I need, personal recomendations please.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Also, hanging things in my tree, good idea?
RSPB says yes but it's a small tree about 6' tall.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2018, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Also, hanging things in my tree, good idea?
Drill a few holes in it say about 20-25mm stuff with suet birds like to feed on it.

TessA
Official Poinker
UK

23-09-2018, 11:50 AM

Will it harm the tree Nom, it's an ornamental cherry which is beautiful in the spring, I managed to move it here and would hate to lose it.
I fill coconut shells with home made fat cakes, mealworms and seeds, would that do?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

23-09-2018, 11:51 AM

I suppose I could hang some drilled logs in it! Good idea?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

23-09-2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I suppose I could hang some drilled logs in it! Good idea?
Yes to both ideas, also good to have a few natural perches nearby your feeders, put in some branches with twigs, it gives them a chance to jump in halfway before making the final dart in to feed.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

23-09-2018, 11:59 AM

Ok, will do. Now to find some twigs and logs!
I'm leaving some brambles and other scrubby stuff for them too, not in the flower beds though. I have a sort of wild bit.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland

23-09-2018, 12:09 PM

Great that will provide cover and protection, i would go as natural as possible, old tree stump make good platforms for seed etc, also more appealing for photos.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top