Join for free
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 07:50 PM

Cricket

Wonder if any one remembers this.

My wife used to sneer at cricket but became a fan after this match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtPw_Ztlm_Q
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 09:10 PM

Re: Cricket

I don't remember that particular match but the seventies to early eighties certainly was the golden age in my opinion.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Wonder if any one remembers this.

My wife used to sneer at cricket but became a fan after this match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtPw_Ztlm_Q
Yes, fond memories.

And what made it extra special was that fact that it was played in the centre of the known universe.
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 05:00 PM

Well, that took me back. I remember listening to it at the time, never believing we would win right up to the last wicket. It always riled me that it is always called Botham's Test when it was really Willis's astonishing bowling performance that won it for us. The story goes Willis never appreciated exactly what he had done until on the way home after the match when he had to stop his car, get out and lie on the ground until he had calmed down.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
Well, that took me back. I remember listening to it at the time, never believing we would win right up to the last wicket. It always riled me that it is always called Botham's Test when it was really Willis's astonishing bowling performance that won it for us. The story goes Willis never appreciated exactly what he had done until on the way home after the match when he had to stop his car, get out and lie on the ground until he had calmed down.
I suppose that if Botham was the Captain, people would by tradition say it was his Test.

But, although the whole team was jointly responsible, I agree that Willis contributed more than anyone else individually because of his phenomenal bowling.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2018, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
Think it was because that in the first innings that are bats men collapsed but Botham made 180 odd not out which gave us a very slim chance in are second innins

Both of them won it

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top