Join for free
Page 53 of 56 « First < 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 01:34 AM

Re: Flu jab 2018 booked

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
There is no data on how much compensation was given by vaccine but I will bet that the large proportion of flu claims were for things such as allergic reaction to eggs or other ingredients. We don't have the details but it may be people claimed and then were thrown out of court because it usually lists eggs on the ingredients label.
Yep I tend to agree. I also wanted to see the amounts of compensation paid out but it wasn't in that data pack. It's probably to be found elsewhere.

We can only glean so much from this particular stat. We need more detail to understand the nature of the individual claims and why 1000s of claims never make it to the pay out stage. I agree there will be some that don't stand up in court but I am willing to bet there are many many more where the complex claiming process is so difficult to get through they gave up.

Here are the hoops you have to jump through to make a claim:

The process for filing a claim is:
1. The petitioner or petitioner's lawyer sends one original and two copies of the claim along with the medical records, other appropriate documents, and a $400 filing fee to the Court;

2. The petitioner or petitioner's lawyer sends one copy of the claim including the medical records and other appropriate documents to the Secretary of Health and Human Services, c/o Director, Division of Injury Compensation Programs;

3. The Court sends one copy of the claim and medical records to the DOJ;

4. HHS reviews the medical information in the claim and this review is sent to the DOJ lawyer who represents the Secretary of Health and Human Services;

5. The DOJ lawyer reviews the legal aspects of the claim and writes a report;

6. The HHS and DOJ reviews are combined into one report that is sent to the Court and petitioner or petitioner’s lawyer;

7. The DOJ and petitioner or petitioner’s lawyer take legal action to resolve the claim;

8. A “special master” (a lawyer appointed by the judges of the Court) decides if the claim will be paid and how much will be paid for the claim;

9. If the special master decides to pay the claim, the petitioner must make a decision to accept or reject the special master’s decision in writing; and

10. The special master’s decision may be appealed to a judge of the Court by the petitioner or HHS, then to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and, finally, to the U.S. Supreme Court.

You'd be footing some significant bills there I think in legal costs which you may not be able to recover if your claim is rejected.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2018, 02:06 AM

I don't know how the US system of medical negligence claims works. But I do know how things work here and you'd be talking about no win no fee. So the claims would be assessed by the legal company to see whether they have a chance of winning. If not then they would pretty much turn them down at the offset.

People put in claims for all sorts of things, but only about half will make it to court and only about half of those will win. The legal firms net off the winners and losers to cover costs.

So over here if a claim doesn't make it to court it's because they don't have a case.

Perhaps in the US people do pay for poorly made cases to go to court.

It would also be interesting to know the socio-economic make up of the people who take up flu vaccines in the US, because I'm sure they are not poor.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 10:11 AM

The point I have tried to make is You get flue and you die from somthing else if your are old ore young.

I think the flu jab is a waste of time because if old or young you die from something else brought on by the flu.

Please read link says it better than me.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...-4000-13756027
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2018, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
The point I have tried to make is You get flue and you die from somthing else if your are old ore young.

I think the flu jab is a waste of time because if old or young you die from something else brought on by the flu.

Please read link says it better than me.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...-4000-13756027
Galty I have it because I don't want to ever get the flu again. I nearly died of the flu last time because I just couldn't keep myself hydrated enough or keep my fever down. Ended up in hospital on a drip. But it was the most horrible experience as I had a really severe strain, pure suffering for three weeks.

I was a sceptic and had refused the vaccine for years before I contracted it. Now I have the jab every year as I'd rather do all I can even if it's not perfect, at least it's partly effective so the more who have it the better chance we all have.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 12:06 AM

I nearly died of the flu last time because I just couldn't . . . . keep my fever down.
Why were you trying to keep your fever down? Huge mistake imo and possibly a reason things got out of control.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

21-12-2018, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Why were you trying to keep your fever down? Huge mistake imo and possibly a reason things got out of control.
To stop me from dying Realist. Do you not know what severe dehydration does to the body? It leads to organ failure. It was only being in hospital on a drip and working out how to stop the fever that helped me recover. Having a temperature of 104 degrees is serious.

Flu and fevers are not to be trifled with.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 10:47 AM

To stop me from dying Realist. Do you not know what severe dehydration does to the body? It leads to organ failure. It was only being in hospital on a drip and working out how to stop the fever that helped me recover. Having a temperature of 104 degrees is serious.

Flu and fevers are not to be trifled with.
Thank goodness you went to a medically trained doctor and not someone posting on an internet forum Annie, so dangerous some of the posts on these threads.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 01:08 PM

God help this thread when a news article suggesting giving the flu vaccine nasally to kids to prevent them passing the flu to older relatives is read by our resident `flu expert`.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-46635782

Pulls pin and waits........................................
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
God help this thread when a news article suggesting giving the flu vaccine nasally to kids to prevent them passing the flu to older relatives is read by our resident `flu expert`.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-46635782

Pulls pin and waits........................................
Are you trying to spoil our Christmas Judd? Most years we have managed to subdue the Flu Jab thread before Christmas. This could keep it going till June 2019!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Are you trying to spoil our Christmas Judd? Most years we have managed to subdue the Flu Jab thread before Christmas. This could keep it going till June 2019!
Oh I can see it running till next flu jab is due.

Page 53 of 56 « First < 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top