Join for free
Page 3 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 11:34 AM

Re: Doctors - do you trust them?

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I think there is a message coming through here and a change of attitude and practice - patients now must do their own research and take care to some extent of their own bodies. I have a great relationship with my doc and tell him what I want and expect and he RESPECTS that - we are more informed these days and the message surely is - "KNOW YOUR OWN BODY AND SYMPTOMS AND DON'T RELY 100% ON OTHERS" whoever they maybe - doctors, other professionals or just website admins!!
Good post gumbud. stevmk2
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 12:18 PM

I think there is a message coming through here and a change of attitude and practice - patients now must do their own research and take care to some extent of their own bodies. I have a great relationship with my doc and tell him what I want and expect and he RESPECTS that - we are more informed these days and the message surely is - "KNOW YOUR OWN BODY AND SYMPTOMS AND DON'T RELY 100% ON OTHERS" whoever they maybe - doctors, other professionals or just website admins!!
I agree gumbud... and I believe I have stated that. It's the patient's responsibility to be proactive in their healthcare and convey their concerns to their MD. It's also the patient's responsibility to ask questions and to know what they are taking prescription wise and WHY. Also to let their doctor know what other medications or supplements they take so he is aware of possible interactions. That said.. I STILL stand by my statement that a layman armed with a computer and a library card.... is NOT qualified to treat him/herself or give others advise... and in fact has a fool for a patient.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 01:44 PM

I think there is a cultural shift in attitudes towards the medical profession. As far as I can tell they're no longer viewed as magical demigods - patients are quite rightly far more investigative, challenging and critical.

I don't have a problem with individual doctors, nurses or health professionals generally - I'm sure they all mean very well.

I do have a problem with the massive medical industry - and the fact that the members of such an industry police and self-moderate - and attempt to perpetuate their sphere of cultural influence. That cannot be right in anybody's books.

Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 02:08 PM

I agree with Gumbud. I have had good and very bad experiences of being treated. I tend to adopt a "wait and see" approach to anything wrong with me these days - usually it goes away, or, if it doesn't, isn't life threatening. If I contracted a serious illness I would not accept the treatment without question. For instance, if I was told I had fairly advanced cancer I might not go for chemo, depending what the prognosis was.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 02:50 PM

I'll tell you what I DO have a problem with as far as the medical field goes... and that's over-diagnosis. I see folks in their 60's or 70's going in for treatment of one thing, and the next thing you know they discover some totally unrelated thing... due to the advancements in diagnostic testing. They find something that would most likely have gone unnoticed for as long as the patient is alive.. like a small slow growing cancer, and the patient would probably die of something else long before that killed them.. However, they are compelled to treat it and the treatment ends up making that persons life living hell, or ends up killing them

On the other hand.. no one knows that for sure so the doctor AND the patient opt for treatment. Because who wants to take the chance. But one has to wonder if it's worth it.
AlbertaS
Berkshire, UK
AlbertaS is female  AlbertaS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 03:08 PM

I do trust my GP but not particularly the hospital doctors,
I suffer with Atrial Fibrillation and every few months end up in A&E when I suffer an episode that may go on for 10hrs or more.

I was recently over medicated and passed out, electrodes attached to my chest and injections given to bring my pulse rate back up from a dangerous level. This took overnight stay in hospital to get back.

On being given discharge papers the next day, some of the medication was not entered and it said that the pulse dropped for a few seconds., injections not mentioned. I had a wordy fight to get an amended form sent to me, and my GP. What made me cross was the way the doctors banded together and treated what was for me something frightening, as nothing.

I'm afraid my trust and confidence has gone and I will query any treatment thay I may have in future.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 03:11 PM

That is scary - I don't have AF but sometimes get palpitations, which I know is not the same thing but they can be scary when woken up in the early hours. It would have been nice to have the doctors treat you with sensitivity.

Originally Posted by AlbertaS ->
I do trust my GP but not particularly the hospital doctors,
I suffer with Atrial Fibrillation and every few months end up in A&E when I suffer an episode that may go on for 10hrs or more.

I was recently over medicated and passed out, electrodes attached to my chest and injections given to bring my pulse rate back up from a dangerous level. This took overnight stay in hospital to get back.

On being given discharge papers the next day, some of the medication was not entered and it said that the pulse dropped for a few seconds., injections not mentioned. I had a wordy fight to get an amended form sent to me, and my GP. What made me cross was the way the doctors banded together and treated what was for me something frightening, as nothing.

I'm afraid my trust and confidence has gone and I will query any treatment thay I may have in future.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 04:28 PM

AudreyII - I couldn't agree more. Pity there's no "like" facility on here!

I think over diagnosis, particularly when there's no really effective treatment - is pointless and anxiety creating. As you say - a small, slow growing cancer may not end up causing any problem in the person's lifetime - yet the treatment DOES!!
AudreyII
USA

25-06-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Indigo ->
AudreyII - I couldn't agree more. Pity there's no "like" facility on here!

I think over diagnosis, particularly when there's no really effective treatment - is pointless and anxiety creating. As you say - a small, slow growing cancer may not end up causing any problem in the person's lifetime - yet the treatment DOES!!
I believe a lot of this goes hand and hand with our over litigious society. Everyone is sue crazy, and I think doctors are inclined to cover their arses in case some relative wants to sue for them NOT treating something if it DOES present a problem later. So you really can't blame the docs.. it's our legal systems.

This may be where an informed patient.. and /or a patient advocate should draw the line.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Azz, Doctors and the Medical profession perhaps but surely not pharmaceutical industry?

I know that sometimes they are closely tied but the pill producers are different beasts altogether!

I don't actually trust either of them to be honest. stevmk2
But stevmk2 you have just recently entrusted your good lady wife into the hands of the medical profession and their anesthesia team and the drugs needed throughout the whole procedure and now you say you don't trust them.

Page 3 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top