Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 10:09 AM

Re: New dentures - getting used to

What's the prob with them Myrtle? I've talked to so many dentists now & the trick seems to be to match the shape of the patients mouth to the correct type of denture. I have one dentist who says he loves Valplast & another who calls them 'gum strippers' (!) I think dentist no1 might be choosing his patients better, is more experienced with making moulds & possibly has a better technician. Incidentally I also found a local dental technician who will make /mend anything for about 2/3 the cost of a dentist - he will also make the mould for the denture. He is not a dentist tho so cannot advise on the best type to have.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I thought that was a partial denture, what's the difference Carol - xcuse me ignorance, I hate dental business
Partial dentures are fixed to a plate - hence the gagging reaction.
A bridge is a permanent fixture - It's fixed by wire to the good teeth each side of the gap. It never comes out.

That's the way I understand it anyway but will do some investigating when the time comes..
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 10:56 AM

Jodie ... I had the same problem as Jazzi .... the denture clips onto the existing teeth and felt much too tight and like a vice on my own teeth ... in fact it made my own teeth loose because it was pressing so much. The back tooth on one side ended up with an abcess and had to be removed ... my gums were sore .... gave up eventually

Patsy ... a bridge is a permanent fixture so much easier to get used to .... I had one years ago and it was fine for a long time then problems arose and eventually I had it removed but I also had to have the tooth either side of it removed too hence three teeth missing !!! It's my bottom teeth at the back so not noticeable .... that's where the dentures were for ... I was happy enough but the dentist talked me into having them !!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 11:05 AM

Oh God - we're just not made right ......
jodie
UK
jodie is female  jodie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 01:08 PM

I was told with a bridge the teeth either side are crowned (so u have to take the top off them) & a bridge crown is cemented to those 2 crowns to go over the gap, so u basically have 3 crowns attached to each other & the 2 side ones are then attached back to whats left of the teeth either side. Sounds a bit harsh, taking healthy teeth right down in order to put a pretend tooth in the middle, but if those teeth have deep fillings anyway you're probably not losing much. If either are root canalled then they may not be strong enough to take the pressure put on them, but some dentists will do it.

Originally Posted by carol ->
Partial dentures are fixed to a plate - hence the gagging reaction.
A bridge is a permanent fixture - It's fixed by wire to the good teeth each side of the gap. It never comes out.

That's the way I understand it anyway but will do some investigating when the time comes..
jodie
UK

26-12-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Oh God - we're just not made right ......
Tell me about it *rolls eyes*
jodie
UK

26-12-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Jodie ... I had the same problem as Jazzi .... the denture clips onto the existing teeth and felt much too tight and like a vice on my own teeth ... in fact it made my own teeth loose because it was pressing so much. The back tooth on one side ended up with an abcess and had to be removed ... my gums were sore .... gave up eventually !!
oh lordy, I'm going thru all this right now. Weird cos you see ppl on youtube in their 20's showing off their dentures & saying they can munch away on cob corn & steak after a month! And they look amazing. But they mostly have full dentures , I wonder if those are easier.
I'm told chrome or titanium backed dentures are good, those are rigid rather than flexible. You can have dentures held in by mini implants too (even on the NHS if all else fails) I'm allergic to so many metals & react badly even to some materials which don't show up in tests so this is going to be quite an adventure. I'd love to pull em all out & have pretendies tho - next week will be my 27th visit to the dentist this year (30 last year) .., I've had enough
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
Jodie ... I had the same problem as Jazzi .... the denture clips onto the existing teeth and felt much too tight and like a vice on my own teeth ... in fact it made my own teeth loose because it was pressing so much. The back tooth on one side ended up with an abcess and had to be removed ... my gums were sore .... gave up eventually

Patsy ... a bridge is a permanent fixture so much easier to get used to .... I had one years ago and it was fine for a long time then problems arose and eventually I had it removed but I also had to have the tooth either side of it removed too hence three teeth missing !!! It's my bottom teeth at the back so not noticeable .... that's where the dentures were for ... I was happy enough but the dentist talked me into having them !!!
Your last bit...same here!! We obviously have the same dentist. I was happy enough, and still am, without the darned things.

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top