Join for free
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 01:07 PM

How to live with body pain when you're afraid of taking meds?

I'm already on medication for my blood pressure and cholesterol and the research I've done on prescribed meds for joint pain and bursitis shows that many of them are either either steroids (which I refuse to take) or they put the user at higher risk for heart attack and stroke. And with already having high blood pressure and high cholesterol under my belt, that's the last thing I need.

I've tried all of the over-the-counter meds (aspirin, naproxen, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, etc) and none of them really do any good.

Do any of you take medication for joint pain? If so, what do you take and have you had any issues with it? And if you don't take meds, what do you do to handle/manage the pain?

The bursitis in my hips is sometimes really bad at night. The pain starts in my hip joint and radiates down my leg at times and I'm tossing and turning all night, trying to get comfortable. Some nights are so bad I wake up in tears. But I'm "pill paranoid" and I'm afraid to take anymore medication than I'm already on.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 02:02 PM

Re: How to live with body pain when you're afraid of taking meds?

Linda darlin' - try Co-Codomol - this is a combination of Dihydrocodeine (30Mg) and Paracetomol (500Mg). Its what my GP has prescribed for me and what the hospital gave me (along with a bottle of Oromorph) when I last came home from hospital following surgery four years ago.

If you do try these - one word of warning - they do cause an unpleasant side-effect for which you will also need some sennacot tablets too.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 02:11 PM

I found when my pain became bad enough I took the pills just to keep going, I am on cocodomal too but the NHS now give it as solpodol as that is cheaper. I find two slices of wholemeal bread each day takes care of the problems it causes.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 02:16 PM

You can buy Co-Codomol over the counter now, though in a lesser dose than prescribed. Had Oromorph while in hospital but found it ineffective some swore by it.

Currently on Gabapentin, Coedine Phosphate, and Paracetemol to control my pain with some success, but had a bad night.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 02:30 PM

Sorry to hear that Nom hope you get a better night tonight it really makes a difference to healing and feeling better to get a good night.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 03:29 PM

Thanks, all, for the replies about the Co-Codomol, but that's got codeine in it and in the states you need a prescription for it. I can ask my doctor about it, though.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Thanks, all, for the replies about the Co-Codomol, but that's got codeine in it and in the states you need a prescription for it. I can ask my doctor about it, though.
I'm the same don't like taking meds - the only ones I persist with are for vertigo - everything else causes problems
So, I put up with the pain day in and day out, recently bought magnets and got a few stuck on me, they help a bit
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 04:49 PM

I buy Co-Codomol over the counter at any chemist, they give me the same chat saying "Have you taken this before" and "dont take it longer than bla bla bla" I have taken it for a lot longer than they say and never have any problems.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2015, 04:59 PM

As your in pain I think you'll find this hard, but I found moving the joint helps as it keeps it mobile and helps to stop it seizing up and helps the pain too. I have found my joint pain has almost gone since I started swimming several times a week, I don't mean a few lengths but a good few. I now swim 50 lengths a day, followed by a hot soak in the Jaquzzi Monday through to Friday and I feel a lot better for it....No meds needed or taken. It was a thought to do it when it was suggested to me, but I thought what the heck, and it worked for me.
Linda0818
USA

26-10-2015, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I'm the same don't like taking meds - the only ones I persist with are for vertigo - everything else causes problems
So, I put up with the pain day in and day out, recently bought magnets and got a few stuck on me, they help a bit
I too have problems with so many medications. Pain pills (other than aspirin) make me sick to my stomach, I've been through a couple other blood pressure meds because of the side-effects until we found one that doesn't bother me, even OTC sleep aids kick my butt. I had to cut my statin back to every other day (instead of every day) because of muscle weakness.

I've tried glucosamine for the joint pain, but it did nothing. So I guess, like you, I'll just have to deal with the pain. Some days are worse than others. Last night was particularly bad, though. The pain in my hips was so great that I barely got any sleep.

Magnets???

Originally Posted by Marj ->
I buy Co-Codomol over the counter at any chemist, they give me the same chat saying "Have you taken this before" and "dont take it longer than bla bla bla" I have taken it for a lot longer than they say and never have any problems.
Well, here in the states, buying things OTC means we don't have to deal with the pharmacists. Anything that's a prescription written by a doctor is picked up at the pharmacy counter.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top