Join for free
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
graculus
Yorkshire
graculus is male  graculus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2016, 12:08 PM

Re: Cochlear Implant

That's wonderful and I really hope the music returns. It's what makes the world bright.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2016, 06:58 PM

News item today may be of interest:
http://www.itv.com/news/west/2016-05...ary-procedure/
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2016, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
News item today may be of interest:
http://www.itv.com/news/west/2016-05...ary-procedure/
Thanks TessA - I love stories like that.

I was recently told about a little girl locally who was born deaf too and had a Cochlear Implant and it's changed her life completely - that must have been one amazing "switch-on" for her!

Big week for me next week - my Pre-Operation Assessment with the surgical team in Oxford on Thursday 26th May then a week or so later our week in Menorca then a week later - the operation itself.

It just can't happen soon enough for me now as my hearing's still going down and now it's going quicker, or it seems so to me.

I've had several of the strange moments recently when everything goes silent, with my aids on, and I don't know why that happens but it's such a sudden and complete silence that for about 40 seconds I'm like a fish out of water.

The first thing I think of is "Batteries gone" but then I realise they haven't - it's me and I think "this is it then" - quite frightening in some ways.

Not long now and I'll come on her while I am quarantined at home to avoid possible infections, (two weeks!) and tell you all about it then, when I get the "switch-on" I'll tell you about that too - that's going to be amazing!! stevmk2
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2016, 03:47 PM

Exciting days ahead Steve, I'm very pleased for you ...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2016, 04:28 PM

Good luck Steve! I hope everything goes well!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 08:48 PM

Bit of a set back for me today.

I've been to Oxford for my Pre-operation Assessment - and they're concerned about my low lung capacity because of the asthma and I'll have to have a general anaesthetic for the operation - they said they need to talk to the anaesthetist, my GP and see my last Lung Capacity readings.

If I can't have my Cochlear Implant my life's pointless once my hearing's gone - and it's going gradually, almost daily now.

Don't know what to do now - they said not to worry but it feels like my last hope - my last lifeline's just been snatched away from me.

Been on my Depression website already - I've got some friends there now - people who understand, but I'm still so very down and I've taken a second pill - I know I shouldn't but I feel I'm sinking under the weight of it all. stevmk2
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 09:00 PM

Well i hope you get support Steve you need it. I understand how you feel believe me.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 09:06 PM

Sorry to hear your news Steve.

Don't give up, it might just be routine checks and fears they have to go over and any management of those before risking a G.A. - ie normal procedure.

May I ask when you last had a G.A. and if you were ok?

edited
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2016, 11:38 PM

Steve, you said "IF" they can't do the op, and "IF" the lung capacity reading are not good enough . . . . once they've talked to the anaesthetist and the GP like they said they needed to do, everything might be fine, so I would try not to look on the black side just yet.
If you get yourself worked up about it at this stage, your blood pressure will go up and then they might not be happy about that.
I would do my best to stay positive unless the worst happened.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2016, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Bit of a set back for me today.

I've been to Oxford for my Pre-operation Assessment - and they're concerned about my low lung capacity because of the asthma and I'll have to have a general anaesthetic for the operation - they said they need to talk to the anaesthetist, my GP and see my last Lung Capacity readings.

- they said not to worry
but it feels like my last hope - stevmk2

steve, don't worry until you know for sure what's going to happen next.

I hope you don't mind me asking but can I assume that you have stopped smoking?

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top