Join for free
veganchick
United Kingdom
veganchick is female  veganchick has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 04:11 PM

War and Peace Leo Tolstoy

Has anyone read this book? Would you recommend it?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 05:19 PM

Re: War and Peace Leo Tolstoy

Originally Posted by veganchick ->
Has anyone read this book? Would you recommend it?
Hi VC

I read it a few months ago and enjoyed it very much. I would recommend it as some of the writing is superb.

However, it can be hard going (the war scenes particularly) you might find yourself skipping through these a bit. A scene which would take ten seconds in real life can be twenty pages in the book.

Fortunately, I did see the BBC series before reading the book which gave me a head start on the names. Some characters are called by different names such as Pierre/Peter and Nicholas/Nicolai etc.
I actually wrote a list of the names and who they were which helped. I'm not sure if I could have got through it if I hadn't seen the series. There are some differences between the two but they are very similar.

If you don't have the BBC series look it up here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3910804/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Click on the cast pics for a bigger picture which might help put faces to the names.

Give it a try you will definitely feel you have achieved something if you finish.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2016, 05:23 PM

Oh and btw, An 'a' on the end of a surname shows it is a woman ie:

The daughter of Count Rostov is Natash Rostova
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

04-01-2017, 12:13 AM

What did you decide in the end VC?
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2017, 09:14 AM

I watched the BBC series, to see what the fuss was about
I thought it was a first class production but a tedious, over long story. I'm glad I didn't waste my time trying to read the book

Oh, and while we're at it, same sort of comment goes for Les Miserables
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

04-01-2017, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by zuludog ->
I watched the BBC series, to see what the fuss was about
I thought it was a first class production but a tedious, over long story. I'm glad I didn't waste my time trying to read the book

Oh, and while we're at it, same sort of comment goes for Les Miserables
Yes, I know a lot of people love Les Mis but I thought it was just OK.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top