Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 03:40 PM

Re: Why Are Some Men Obsessed With Cars And Engines?

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
if you tune both up properly just hear the noise they make
Yes a lovely throbbing noise that goes on and on
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 04:50 PM

I used to be a bit of a DIY mechanic and have fitted gearboxes, clutches and complete engines amongst other repairs but as mentioned above, engines these days are just to be looked at as not many repairs are possible unless you have the vast array of special tools. I was never a petrol head or anything, just that it was cheaper than going to a garage.

Apart from that, I can't be @rsed any more.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 04:52 PM

Hi

I find modern cars a completely mystery, so leave well alone.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I find modern cars a completely mystery, so leave well alone.
I'm with you Swimmy. I had a look under the bonnet of my car and just thought, how does a mechanic work on these things nowadays. I used to own old Cortinas etc and you could get inside the engine bay and get to things.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I used to be a bit of a DIY mechanic and have fitted gearboxes, clutches and complete engines amongst other repairs but as mentioned above, engines these days are just to be looked at as not many repairs are possible unless you have the vast array of special tools. I was never a petrol head or anything, just that it was cheaper than going to a garage.
Apart from that, I can't be @rsed any more.

Same here
The number of big and small end bearing shells I have fitted as well as piston rings and valve reseating. Remember the stick with suction caps on the end where you put grinding paste and cleaning carbon off the valve heads? Or balancing twin carbs with a vacuum guage?
And those clutch plates lining them up? I have somewhere the tool still to do that.

Good old days when home mechanics was within anyones capabilities. I did a complete rebuilt of a Morris Minor many years ago
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 06:03 PM

I would think most men of our generation had occasion to fix our Morris 1000s and Ford Poplars, I certainly couldn't afford a garage, I could barely afford the petrol. Needs must really.
RossT
New Member!
oxford uk
RossT is male 

12-05-2017, 06:15 PM

Well, the first thing a wise man looks at are the fluid levels, lest his beloved beast is running short of anything. Then he looks for anything out of the normal; things which are not as they should be. Then he inhales the intoxicating aroma of hot engine oil. Finally, he takes satisfaction that his loyal and dependable steed is ready for whatever may be asked of it .
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 06:20 PM

Why are some women obsessed with driving into things?..........

(Heads for cover.....)
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 06:22 PM

It used to be about women hanging their handbags on the extended choke button.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2017, 06:24 PM

Another one here that used to repair my own cars many an hour spent changing brake pads/shoes doing bodywork repairs with the good old "doggie", am fortunate that my bil. Is a mechanic so any thing major I took to him, but I've done a fair bit on my cars, different nowadays though, as people have said you really need a code reader to interrogate the on board computer to make any sense of any warning lights that show up, also I think as you get older you get in a position where you can afford to pay someone else to repair/maintain your car and I certainly don't miss crawling about on the floor in the freezing cold..!!

Ooh , here's a thought, how about a motoring section on the forum?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top