Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 10:39 AM

Re: Realist - cracks in my thumb

I like to slather on the coconut oil after I finish a wet job, that has pretty much cured my cracked finger tips. Also keep my hands warm in gloves when ever I am out and about. Just look after them.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Every year at about this time, when the weather is starting to get cold, I get a crack in my thumb on my right thumb. It gets very sore, throbbing and it lasts most of the winter. I cannot use that thumb for a lot of things because of this painful crack. Exactly the same place every year.

Would you be able to tell me what to do about it?

I use flexible colodium usually, but that has it's difficulties also....when it starts to peal off.....

Your help will be appreciated...

Blue

Blue darlin' - my father, who was a mechanical engineer also used to get painful cracks in fingers which also used get smothered in grease and engine oil. He managed to cure his painful fingers by the application of Lanolin cream or lotion.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 11:22 AM

Netrogena, coconut oil or plain and simple vaseline cream ....and come bed time apply some and wear a pair of light cotton gloves overnight.
It soaks in and works a treat for cracked heels and feet too. Keeps my trotters nice anyway.

One proviso: If you have sensitive skin at all it might not be wise to cover your skin for too long a periods of time like that.

E45 is another good brand and dermatologically safe.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Dear Realistic Meg

I have an oily T zone.

Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 11:29 AM

You could try calamine and glycerine cream Blueberry. It acts as a barrier and aids fast healing.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 11:30 AM

I used to use Hemp hand cream from the Body shop. Smells like sweaty feet but does the job.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Would you be able to tell me what to do about it?
Bleeding obvious really. One or both of these:

They cost a couple of bucks each from your local supermarket and last for ages.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010241.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	8184  
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Some interesting recommendations in this thread which I personally would be highly wary of. In particular the various lotions and creams that contain dangerous ingredients.

Here are 2 of the dangerous ingredients in the products being recommended here (there are others):

Triethanolamine

"Triethanolamine, also known as TEA, is a reactionary byproduct of two toxic substances: ethylene oxide and ammonia"

"Small doses of Triethanolamine are approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR) for use in cosmetics and personal care products intended for “discontinuous use,” meaning that it should be washed off briefly after application. However, because of its toxicity, the FDA recommends no more than 5% concentration of Triethanolamine in any one product formula because it can be dangerous in large doses or over long-term use. "

read more here:

https://naturaveda.com/education/12-...iethanolamine/

Methylparaben

https://www.livestrong.com/article/2...methylparaben/

"Methylparaben is used to preserve food and cosmetics. It is a fungicide and anti-bacterial agent, extending the shelf-life of a product. Methylparaben is quickly absorbed through the skin, and through the intestinal tract when used as a food preservative. There is a great deal of controversy surrounding its use, with many reports of dangerous side effects."

"This compound has been found intact within breast cancer tissues. Some researchers suggest that methylparaben may increase risk of breast cancer, or accelerate the growth of these tumors."

Most vaguely awake people by now know that parabens are a bad thing.

Obviously I personally would read the ingredient labels of any such product very carefully and do my research into what is listed there.

On a more broader aspect to Wild Blueberry I would be asking myself "why do I get the same problem in the same place every year"?

I would be seeking to cure the root problem rather than constantly treating the symptoms each year.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2018, 03:10 PM

Thank you everyone for all the good advice and I will search around and see what we have here in Canada. I could probably get one of them online.

And also to Realist, yes, I would love to find out why I get the same problem every year, in the same spot. It is so irritating.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top