Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 07:07 PM

Re: A Christmas Carol

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Yes I know. It's a one-man play isn't it Ruthio?
Yes... it's almost not a play but more a monologue.
So clever.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
This isn't a new film "version", it's Simon Callow narrating the story, there's nobody else involved. It's amazing!!
Cheers Ruthio I will take a look.

On this same topic, on a cruise a few years ago Charle's Dicken's Great Great Grandson, Gerald, was on board and performed his one mans show of A Christmas Carol.

He played all the parts and unbelievably he spoke the work word for word. What a memory !!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2018, 10:30 PM

When I was in senior school in the dim and distant past, we used to have a bloke who came every Christmas to perform one-man monologues based on some of the works of Charles Dickens. When he performed the `Signal-Man` you could hear a pin drop in the audience - an audience comprised of usually noisy teens. A brilliant performance which I remember to this day.

One year, he did the Monkey's Paw by W.W. Jacobs - another sterling performance which transfixed us all.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2018, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
Nothing will beat the 1951 version with Alister Sim as Scrooge.
Absolutely. Nothing else comes close. I prefer the black and white version to the ghastly (IMO) version though.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2018, 11:40 PM

Excellent. We watched it today. I do like Callow.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2018, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by wishbone ->
Nothing will beat the 1951 version with Alister Sim as Scrooge.
My favourite version is the 2009 Jim Carey film, directed by the excellent Robert Zemeckis. saw it in 3D originally.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

25-12-2018, 11:48 PM

As a follow up up this, 'The man who invented Christmas' is on Netflicks. A film about Dickens and how he came up with the story (with some artistic license).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxcnYR3mcPU

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top