Join for free
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2011, 10:24 PM

Hysterectomy

Got some bad news on Friday. I have got to have a hysterectomy on the 6th September. Bit of a shock and I am terrified can't believe this is happening to me.

Then I thought some of you ladies may have had this experience and wouldn't mind sharing with me. I know the doctor will tell me all about the actual operation but I want to talk to someone who understands how I am feeling at the moment.

I am 63 and thought I had been lucky enough to miss all this I feel dissappointed, frightened and worried.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Re: Hysterectomy

Oh CC, so sorry to hear this, you must be so upset and concerned. I can't offer any info as I've not had that op; hope our gal members who've been thru this can offer some reassurance that'll make you feel less apprehensive. ((hugs))!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2011, 11:49 PM

Hi Cate I can understand you must be very worried at the prospect of having an operation.
My cousin had a Hysterectomy a number of years ago, I don't remember the details but she was fine afterwards.

That is not much help to you I am afraid.
I understand there is a Hysterectomy Association Website which may provide some answers to help allay your fears...(hugs)x
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 03:30 PM

Its really strange, I am really disappointed that my body has turned against me. I had three normal pregnancies, apart from an odd blood group everything was ok. During my life I have had very little to worryabout healthwise apart from my husband getting diabetes and worrying about him. It is the word cancer which scares and the fact that for many weeks afterwards I have to 'take it easy' and that will be hard for me and im.

Ialso worry that I am heavy and that I am older than the ladies I know who have had this op. Anyway I will talk it over with a nurse on Wednesday and ask her loads of questions. Meanwhile thank you for the hugs I appreciate them more than i can say.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2011, 04:24 PM

This looks like a pretty informative site, thought you might find it helpful .....

http://surgery.about.com/od/procedur...sterectomy.htm
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
Its really strange, I am really disappointed that my body has turned against me. I had three normal pregnancies, apart from an odd blood group everything was ok. During my life I have had very little to worryabout healthwise apart from my husband getting diabetes and worrying about him. It is the word cancer which scares and the fact that for many weeks afterwards I have to 'take it easy' and that will be hard for me and im.

Ialso worry that I am heavy and that I am older than the ladies I know who have had this op. Anyway I will talk it over with a nurse on Wednesday and ask her loads of questions. Meanwhile thank you for the hugs I appreciate them more than i can say.
CC darlin' - my Mother had a hystrectomy many years ago (she died only in March this year aged 88!!!) after the operation you won't be able to do too much, certainly no lifting, and standing for any length of time will make you incredibly tired - be prepared to SIT and REST for approx 6 - 8 weeks. You will appreciate in retrospect what I and others are telling you now after you are through the operation and discharged from hospital and home again. Good luck darlin' and I and others here are thinking of you and wishing you all the best.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 09:13 AM

Cate, my mother had this op many years ago, she was 52 and recovered vey well and felt a lot better for having it done. The rest afterwards is so important, give your body time to heal. I can hear what you're saying though, after having three children and no problems. Talk to the doctor, ask him everything that's worrying you, write your questions down beforehand. Keep us posted, you have many good friends here.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 09:39 AM

I think it's safe to say that we all sympathise with your plight Kate, "There but for the grace of God go I"... Best wishes and huge (((HUGS))) from me and Oscar.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2011, 12:39 PM

Hi Cate, so sorry to hear this, it must have come as a shock to you.

I'm unable to offer any information to help you but I will offer all my good wishes to you. I'll be thinking of you on the 6th ..... *hugs*
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

22-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
This looks like a pretty informative site, thought you might find it helpful .....

http://surgery.about.com/od/procedur...sterectomy.htm
Having a few tears here as you are all being so kind. Thank you Eileen for the link which is very helpful. It is the unknown questions which nobody can answer that really upset me. Unfortunately when you reach 63 you have heard of many things that go wrong during surgery and after. I need to calm down and start to think positive. i usually am pretty good at that but this has kind of side swiped me.

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top