Join for free
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Re: Hysterectomy

Well Tuesday is the big day and I am much more settled. I have had many of the questions answered that I needed to. I am now settling down to look forward to getting it over with. My husband is being wonderful but I know it it scaring him to death to. He will have to look after me when I come out of hospital and poor love the whole cooking/housekeeping malarky is daunting. He is looking forward to it and I have filled the freezer with ready cooked pizza, pies to fall back on but there are beefburgers, sausages and steaks to bbq if he feels like it.

I discovered something on the hysterectomy help site which was really interesting. It said that a lot of women get UTI's after surgery (urine infections) and that cranberries had some sort of enzime that would not allow the ecoli bacteria to stick to the wall of the bladder.

I am now taking cranberry supplements with cranberry juice which is actually quite nice.

Well as soon as I can I will let you know how things went and how I am. Thank you all for your kind encouragement you really are a very good bunch to have on my team.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 02:47 PM

It's always a daunting time to go into hospital.

Will be thinking of you.........you will be fine ((((hugs))))
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 03:37 PM

Cate I am glad to hear you are more settled now .
I will be thinking of you on Tuesday and wish you a speedy recovery.xx

Re the UTI, each person is different so it may not be something which troubles you , let's hope not anyway
It is something I had a problem with for many years and I must have drunk gallons of cranberry juice and potassium citrate (which makes he urine less acidic) .

I hope you have you got some good books to read .
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 04:11 PM

You'll be in my thoughts too come Tuesday; fingers crossed all will go well and you'll be home recovering! Sounds as if you have the food situation well under control, and don't worry hubby about things like vacuuming or dusting, that can be put on hold for a bit.

When I was working in the doctors office, one of them always recommended cranberry juice for a UTI, apparently it does work.

Hang in there, it'll be over soon (((hugs)))
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 04:53 PM

All good wishes for Tuesday
I'm sure it will be OK but it's only natural to be as apprehensive as you are. I think I understand what you are saying about your body letting you down; as a generally very healthy soul I think I might feel the same. But it's not, is it? Just needs a bit of care and attention from the medics, a bit of positive thought and positive recuperation from you - et voila Good for another 40 years!

Best wishes
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Cate, I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday, I hope everything goes well and you are back home again soon.
Give yourself time to heal, that is very important even if you think you ready to do a few jobs around the house ...... think stop

Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery *hugs*
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 07:14 PM

Hello

Sorry I have only just seen this and thought ah ha.....I know where you are coming from I had a Total hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy at 46 last year
On 21/04/2010 basicaly that is a hysterectomy with ovaries, cervix basicaly everything removed, went in hospital the day before because I was anaemic (for a top up) and came out on the Saturday. I had a vertical cut from pubic bone to belly button and then a bit and abit outwards too but I was told this before hand so no shock.
What cut are you having?

One thing I must say the gynae ward I was in was fantastic because everyone is in the same boat or has been or will be. Real moral boosting.

Had staples and other than a little sickness following no problems at all.
Yes I was tired that I have to admit, bone tired and I thought that the info of not being able to do anything was a little OTT but its not, I could not lift a 4 litre of milk.......

If you have any questions then please PM me you will be fine and you have to rest and then rest then rest more, although daily showering and a little walk even round the house it advisable.......even recomended.

Honestly the good side, I am off on holiday on Monday to Spain and brought white trousers....... I feel brilliant, I was told 6 weeks healing, 6 strength building which is right but honestly when people say it takes 6 months to feel back to normal I disagree in 6 months I felt as I had before the reason for the hysterectomy and 12 months on I felt better than I remember and now 17 months post op I am on top of the world. Have had no major issues with menopause either although I was thrown into it, just a little warm at times. I take nothing no HRT due to having had breast cancer.

Honestly any questions worries PM me I am here till Sunday night. Then off to Spain but I will be back and feel free.

Honestly it is life changing however I found it changed my life for the better. Although according to my consultant I had no idea how ill I was as I had "adapted" and he was right after the first 3 months I started to feel weller than I had in ages, and still do.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Sorry did not mean to babble and I am not a poster child for hysterectomies..............
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2011, 07:36 PM

But I know that first hand story was probably very reassuring to Cate! Thanks for sharing it.
Treacle
New Member!
Derbyshire UK
Treacle is female 

03-09-2011, 08:32 PM

Please try not to worry Cate I am the same age as you I had a hysterectomy about ten years ago its not like years ago I had fibroids on my womb I could not pass water properly an was in terrible pain, I was cut to have mine done and was in hospital 5 days, bit painful and sore for a couple of days after but they give you morphine for the pain which is great woo woo you have to take it easy for six weeks after I mean you are bound to feel weak after that I was back at work no problems, When you have had it done you will think why did I worry so much

Treacle

Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top