Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2012, 11:34 PM

Pulled Muscle?

Hubby has what the Doc has said is a pulled muscle
It started the week before Christmas with a pain in his hip & buttock. Its spread to his back now. After suffering for a week he went to the Docs who gave him Co-Codamol & Ibroprofen. They didnt really help & he has been in agony ever since. A week later he went back to the docs. this time he was given Tramadol & sent for an X-ray on his back & hip which showed nothing so it must be muscular. He's now waiting to be referred for Physio.
The Tramadol sent him a bit loopy though - Feeling sick & a bad headache - feeling like he had a bad hangover He cant sleep as when he turns over it wakes him up - he's up every hour anyway going to the loo (Prostate trouble)
Its been going on for over a month now & is not getting any easier. Its really getting him down. When he does try to walk around he's like a 120 year old!! Because he isnt sleeping at night he's dozing in the chair all day - which again means he cant sleep at night!
Has anybody else had this problem & how long has it lasted? He's going to go to the docs again on Monday but I dont suppose they can do anything about it
He has hardly been out of the house since before Christmas & that's not like him he's usually out nearly every day.
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 12:14 AM

Re: Pulled Muscle?

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
Hubby has what the Doc has said is a pulled muscle
It started the week before Christmas with a pain in his hip & buttock. After suffering for a week he went to the Docs who gave him Co-Codamol & Ibroprofen. They didnt really help & he has been in agony ever since. A week later he went back to the docs. this time he was given Tramadol & sent for an X-ray on his back & hip which showed nothing so it must be muscular. He's now waiting to be referred for Physio.
The Tramadol sent him a bit loopy though - Feeling sick & a bad headache - feeling like he had a bad hangover He cant sleep as when he turns over it wakes him up - he's up every hour anyway going to the loo (Prostate trouble)
Its been going on for over a month now & is not getting any easier. Its really getting him down. When he does try to walk around he's like a 120 year old!! Because he isnt sleeping at night he's dozing in the chair all day - which again means he cant sleep at night!
Has anybody else had this problem & how long has it lasted? He's going to go to the docs again on Monday but I dont suppose they can do anything about it
He has hardly been out of the house since before Christmas & that's not like him he's usually out nearly every day.
Oh the poor man Lynne.I can relate to the pain he is having as I also was on the same Tablets as him and they didn't make one ounce of difference.Mine started off just as your hubby's did and to cut a very long story short I was in bed unable to move for months...My left leg was well swollen and I could have fried an egg on it with the heat from it.I couldn't even feed myself not that I was hungry.I couldn't sleep with the pain and I was a mess.Anyway in the end I got an Osteopath in as I had tried to get out of bed but collapsed.Turned out all my muscles had wasted away because of me being unable to move for so long so I had to learn to walk again.My goodness it was hard as the pain was so bad....but with the Osteopath's help I started to move around eventually with 2 walking sticks.It took a year out of my life in all till I could walk ok again....I also bought a Stroller when I was not in quite so much pain as I wanted to help build up my leg musclesThis was about 7 years ago now and a strange thing happened.I always suffered with a slip disc....sometimes would last for a few weeks but from that day I have had no probs in that area...other area's yes lol but not the back prob.Oh I just feel for him so much Lynne as he must be suffering so much.He will get there with help though and hope that will be in the near future.
Lynne55
Lancs.
Lynne55 is female  Lynne55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 12:24 AM

Thanks Bonny. Yours sounds worse than Hubby's. I expect your muscles would have wasted away after not being used for so long. I'm glad to hear that you are better now though.
I hope his doesn't last so long. He gets depressed anyway but its making him more so now. The other day he was trying to get up from his chair & knocked a plate of the chair arm which broke on the wooden floor. I thought he was going to burst into tears. Its also getting him down because he cant get in the car easily if he does want to go somewhere He cant lift his leg up enough to get in. Plus he feels awful that he cant manage to take me shopping or to do anything in the house.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 12:25 AM

Sorry to hear about your husbands pain, Lynne. I too suffer with back trouble so can appreciate how he is feeling.

May I ask if he has the pain shooting down his leg from his buttocks? If so, it could be sciatica which can last for weeks or months. But there again I would have thought his doctor would have recognised that.

I hope he gets some pain relief from the doctor, it must be making him miserable being in so much pain.
Bonny
UK
Bonny is female  Bonny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lynne55 ->
Thanks Bonny. Yours sounds worse than Hubby's. I expect your muscles would have wasted away after not being used for so long. I'm glad to hear that you are better now though.
I hope his doesn't last so long. He gets depressed anyway but its making him more so now. The other day he was trying to get up from his chair & knocked a plate of the chair arm which broke on the wooden floor. I thought he was going to burst into tears. Its also getting him down because he cant get in the car easily if he does want to go somewhere He cant lift his leg up enough to get in. Plus he feels awful that he cant manage to take me shopping or to do anything in the house.
I just feel for him so...and for you.My other half actually said at the time that he wished it was him and not me as he saw the pain I was in.One thing....I did find Arnica Gel abit of a relief and may be worth a try.Many people I know have used it and they all agree it does help their aches and pains..I get mine from QVC and if you want any details just pm me love.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 08:52 AM

Lynne, tell him to try sleeping on the floor instead of in the bed. If your bed is soft it will not help him as his back will have no real support. It could take about ten days sleeping on the floor to really ease the pain.

Also tell him to put two sturdy stand chairs about 18 inch apart, put a towel over the chair back and get him to lift his feet off the floor, he wont be able to do it for long at first but doing it several times during the day it could ease the pain.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 10:14 AM

There can't be many of us that haven't suffered back pain over the years and yes, I agree, what a b****y awful miserable business it can be...

I can't offer any advice Lynne, but I would like to offer my best wishes to your husband for a full and speedy recovery...
Reikiman
Solihull, UK
Reikiman is male  Reikiman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Hi Lynne,

Have you thought of trying Homeopathy. Arnica capsules of 30c strength might help.

As might going to a McTimoney Chiropractor. These are more gentle than just plain Chiropractors and seem to work wonders. Worked on my shoulder.

Also, Reflexology can be good at helping to relieve painful conditions.

They might be worth trying.

I hope your husband's condition improves soon.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2012, 11:41 AM

Lynne darlin' - yes I can relate to this very well - have had Arthritis for many years and have had both hips replaced - one a second time only one month ago.

I also know about analgesics too. Tell your OH to ditch the Tramadol - the side effects are worse than the condition. Keep on with the Co-codomol - two every four hours. On return to the Doctor, tell your OH to ask Doctor for Oromorph - this is liquid morphine. He will then need to take 10ml every four hours and intersperse this with co-codomol (2 hours apart).

In order to get any rest at night, tell him to lay on his back, BUT raise his leg and place one or two pillows underneath his thigh and knee so the leg is in an inverted 'v' shape - this may help.
Lynne55
Lancs.

22-01-2012, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
There can't be many of us that haven't suffered back pain over the years and yes, I agree, what a b****y awful miserable business it can be...

I can't offer any advice Lynne, but I would like to offer my best wishes to your husband for a full and speedy recovery...
Thanks. He's really feeling sorry for himself

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Lynne darlin' - yes I can relate to this very well - have had Arthritis for many years and have had both hips replaced - one a second time only one month ago.

I also know about analgesics too. Tell your OH to ditch the Tramadol - the side effects are worse than the condition. Keep on with the Co-codomol - two every four hours. On return to the Doctor, tell your OH to ask Doctor for Oromorph - this is liquid morphine. He will then need to take 10ml every four hours and intersperse this with co-codomol (2 hours apart).

In order to get any rest at night, tell him to lay on his back, BUT raise his leg and place one or two pillows underneath his thigh and knee so the leg is in an inverted 'v' shape - this may help.
Uncle Joe. He has ditched the Tramadol - he didnt like the side effects. He usually lies on his side in bed with a pillow between his legs to raise one leg up but i'll tell him to try your way . Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top