Join for free
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 05:32 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Originally Posted by Jem ->

There was a real howler of a wind outside in the early hours this morning, I just knew as I lay in bed that something was going to be damaged or blown away, and sure enough as I looked out the bedroom window there was the felt blown off the little summer house and the wooden gate at the wall blown off it’s hinges, I was busy all day on the roof putting things right again, now I hear there’s a hurricane coming on Thursday, ah well no rest for the wicked.

I suppose they’ll be a lot of people up on the roofs repairing the damage after Thursday, I hope not.
Something to consider Jem. Living so close to the sea front I lost my garden shed roof in a bad gale and the chap that sorted me out suggested that I grow a clematis over it....pinning it down so to speak.

I took his advice and planed the evergreen white Armandii and it didn't take long to cover the shed. Smells and looks gorgeous and is also somewhere for the birds to go. It has weathered many gales and storms and kept my roof safe.

Anyway lets hope Lorenzo runs out of puff. You and Phyllis stay safe.

Similer to this.......

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:34 PM

Watched that film recently “Hell Drivers”, all about lorries shifting gravel at rapid speeds, the drivers were all on bonus and going like the hammers of hell, tragedy was inevitable and sure enough Gino an Italian driver dies near the end of the film, Herbert Lom played Gino and my missus loves him in films, it’s his come hither eyes she says.

Why worry?
“Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?”
Matthew 6:26-34.
I agree with you Matthew, live horse and you’ll get grass, don’t worry about tomorrow, who wants to add a cubit (1 cubit = approx. 18inches) to their stature anyway, God knows there are enough folks trying to lose a cubit from their waistline, when you think of it a 36 inch waist is 2 cubits and a 6 foot person is 4 cubits tall.
“Cast thine eye upon the multitude out yonder a jogging at Sundown, for are they not desperately trying to shake off a bellyful of cubits after their heavenly father hath overfed them?”
Jem 2:10-19.
Lovely word that cubit, have you every held the bit of a cue? the bit is the butt end is it not?, Alex Higgins bottom was as thin as a cue bit as he raced around the snooker table, God rest his soul. Then we had professor Rubik who squared us all up with his colourful cube, and contrary to popular belief, Oxo’s are not made in Cuba.
But enough of this nonsense, here’s a nice song about cupid by a great singer, in my own opinion of course.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 08:36 PM

Thanks for that tip about the roof Solo, I'll have a word with Phyllis, she's the green fingered one in this family.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 09:41 AM

But enough of this nonsense, here’s a nice song about cupid by a great singer, in my own opinion of course.
Every budding boy singer in our teens would copy these Sam Cookes beautiful vocals....always horribly but joyously off key.

solo
UK

03-10-2019, 09:45 AM

I enjoy a good book but admit to being a bit selective in my choices especially with Bios. Liking someone and their work helps too and with David Hockney neither of those really applies. Like a book, art taste are selective and I doubt if he would lose any sleep knowing that I don't rate his work much

He is just there and my opinions on his money for old rope artwork matters not a jot to anyone in the know...which is as it should be...however his brother John has written a book and that is a different matter.

John does what his brother fails to do for me....he paints in words a fascinating look at their life which captures you immediately.' I may not understand the nuances of brushstrokes or they way light is reflectively displayed or any other such arty farty drivel but I do understand words...and these are very good words that you can enjoy and appreciate.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-Hockney.html
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

03-10-2019, 09:36 PM

His writing is very honest and easy to read, I like that, he seems to have a genuine affection for his famous brother, there are some brothers who would be jealous.

Speaking of paintings I see that Banksy’s work featuring the monkeys in parliament is up for auction with an opening tag of 1.5 million pounds on it, should do well in the present political climate, I’m guessing that in a century to come that painting will be as famous as the Mona Lisa, good timing on the part of Sothebys.

Reading John Hockney’s bit about his brother transporting his canvases on a baby’s pram and the other brother Paul refusing to walk with him reminded me of two brothers who lived in our area back in the 50’s.
They were a very strange family who kept to themselves, two sisters in their 40’s lived in the house and the two boys who would be about 10 and 12 at that time, the older brother would often hang around with the rest of us kids, but never the younger lad, he used to attend the School of Music just off posh Grafton Street, he carried a violin in a case and would proudly hold his head high as he made his way from his house to the bus stop to go for his lessons, the other brother keep well out of his path and wouldn’t be seen dead with him when he had his case with him, now had it been a guitar case the whole street would have followed him, but a violin, never!.
Mystery surrounded the two sisters, they both worked in the big Players&Wills cigarette factory nearby, but that’s about all we knew of them, we didn’t know which was the mother of which boy, or even if they were the mothers, the lad who sometimes hung around with us always clammed up when the subject of his family came up.
They have long gone from here and a German family live in that house now. I heard in a pub many years after they moved that the younger brother packed up the music lessons, went to London and changed his name, he took up journalism and he’s done very well for himself, his mug is a regular feature on TV, when the chap in the pub told me his name I nearly fell off the bar stool with shock, I kid you not.
Who is he you may well ask, needless to say, and gentleman that I am, my lips are sealed.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2019, 09:54 PM

I dunno, what must be annoying is not capitalising on despair, sometimes I despair, specially when it comes to socks.
solo
UK

04-10-2019, 02:51 PM

One of my favourite films is The Scarlet Pimpernel. Both the 1934 and the 1982 do the Orczy novel full justice.

The reason I mention The Scarlet Pimpernel is because of Banksy who as you know has yet again managed to count another coup and still remain anonymous. I admire this ability and hope it continous for him. I dont want to know who he is as for me it's enough to know that in this day and age he can actually achieve and keep that status.

They seek him here...they seek him there..they seek that Banksy everywhere.... Good on him and long may he continue to be elusive.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

04-10-2019, 09:06 PM

I do agree with you about keeping Banksy’s identity secret, the Lone Ranger of the art world, everyone loves a bit of mystery.

I didn’t know the original filmed Pimpernel Leslie Howard was a passenger on a scheduled BOAC flight when the plane was shot down over the Bay of Biscay by German fighters during the war, some reports say they thought Churchill was on board, but there are lots of theories out there, sad way for a good actor to go, he was only 50, who knows what other great films he could have made had he lived longer.

Oh I nearly forgot to tell you Spitty, I met and old Scottish friend of mine from Clydeside last night, we had a few pints and a riveting conversation about ship building, the noise of working in a shipyard all his life drove him crazy, God help him he’s a nervous wreak so he took early retirement for “rivet rattle” as they call it.
When the barman was throwing us out at closing time yerman grabbed a bottle of champagne from the shelf and smashed it over his own head saying “And God bless all who sail in her”
I rang the hospital this morning and he’s alright, a big bump on his head and a slight concussion, otherwise it was a great night.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 10:24 PM

I do agree with you about keeping Banksy’s identity secret, the Lone Ranger of the art world, everyone loves a bit of mystery.

I didn’t know the original filmed Pimpernel Leslie Howard was a passenger on a scheduled BOAC flight when the plane was shot down over the Bay of Biscay by German fighters during the war, some reports say they thought Churchill was on board, but there are lots of theories out there, sad way for a good actor to go, he was only 50, who knows what other great films he could have made had he lived longer.

Oh I nearly forgot to tell you Spitty, I met and old Scottish friend of mine from Clydeside last night, we had a few pints and a riveting conversation about ship building, the noise of working in a shipyard all his life drove him crazy, God help him he’s a nervous wreak so he took early retirement for “rivet rattle” as they call it.
When the barman was throwing us out at closing time yerman grabbed a bottle of champagne from the shelf and smashed it over his own head saying “And God bless all who sail in her”
I rang the hospital this morning and he’s alright, a big bump on his head and a slight concussion, otherwise it was a great night. :-)

This one for RJ, what about Patience Confidentiality.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top