Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2013, 11:38 PM

Our motor cars

Do you form 'attachments' to your motor cars?
If I changed my present one, I would feel quite sad to see it go, especially if I saw it being driven by somebody else later on.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2013, 11:46 PM

Re: Our motor cars

Yes, I always get attached to mine. I'd had my last one, a Honda Civic, for about 10 years and was very upset when I drove it to the dealers for the last time when I traded it in for my present one. Fortunately I haven't seen it since. It would upset me if I saw someone else with it.

Now I am very happy and attached to my latest one, a Rav4, and hope I won't be parting with it for quite a while yet.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2013, 11:48 PM

I never feel sad when I get rid of them, I get rid of them because I am sick of them, or there is something wrong with them.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 01:22 AM

I loved my Tina. I had her for 13 years and she was six years old when I got her. She was a Ford Cortina Mk V Estate and she was a big girl for a little lady like me to drive but, despite having no power steering, I could turn that car on a sixpence as she was so easy to drive.

I broke my heart when I traded her in and, had I had the sense at the time, instead of buying a two-year old car which cost me £170 a month over five years, I could have used that money to get Tina back into showroom condition. She was 18 years old with a little more than 90,000 on the clock, so exceptionally low mileage, but there was wear and tear, but apart from that, not really a lot wrong with her. Poor old darling.

I totally adored that car and, as daft as this sounds, we had a sort of bond and only let me down twice when the clutch went but still got me home from work, then she needed a new timing belt but, when that went, there was no damage to the valves, unlike a modern car.

Okay go on, make fun.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 05:22 AM

No, I never get attached to them. I've always changed my car every 2 or 3 years but I've always bought one a couple of years old.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 09:32 AM

It seems to be a "female thing" so far, doesn't it. Wonder why?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 09:34 AM

Yes Mups we get attached to a car, not all - just the 'special' ones ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 10:50 AM

Some of our cars we have been very attached to, Vera the Volvo (like driving a bus lol), Clive the Cortina (last type the produced), Melanie the mini (used to get us two, 3 kids and 3 dogs in that one ! ), and our current Sidney the CRV. Others not so much, civic broke down so often we had AA on speed dial, Renault 5 was a huge mistake we both hated it from about the second day we owned it.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 10:50 AM

I am ashamed to say that I do get attached to my cars. I don't part with them until they are beyond repair and when their little bodies are unceremoniously hoisted onto the back of scrap metal merchants lorry, their little bodies swinging on the end of the chains and I know I can hear them saying 'why? I was always there for you, kept you warm and dry and took you everywhere you wanted to go without complaint' - I feel really bad about it.

So I make my son stand there till the car has gone
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 02:19 PM

No I don' t get attached to mine, I buy a new one every three years, some I may 'like' more than others.... but my car is just a means of getting from A to B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top