Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Re: Our motor cars

Ours is much more than that to us, gets us to work so A to B is part of it, but picnics and holidays, taking dogs for their walks, it's a social beast that gets us out and about to enjoy the countryside, some of my best chats with my little grand niece have taken place in as I ferry her to and fro hospital and school etc.

Even had one we lived in once, was much better than the alternatives of shop door ways. So we see the car as very important to us in many more ways than just A to B.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Ours is much more than that to us, gets us to work so A to B is part of it, but picnics and holidays, taking dogs for their walks, it's a social beast that gets us out and about to enjoy the countryside, some of my best chats with my little grand niece have taken place in as I ferry her to and fro hospital and school etc.

Even had one we lived in once, was much better than the alternatives of shop door ways. So we see the car as very important to us in many more ways than just A to B.
Indeed Julie, holidays treats and outings also means going fron A to B.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 02:38 PM

A to B via X,Y and Z when we go away. The journey is often better than the destination !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I am ashamed to say that I do get attached to my cars. I don't part with them until they are beyond repair and when their little bodies are unceremoniously hoisted onto the back of scrap metal merchants lorry, their little bodies swinging on the end of the chains and I know I can hear them saying 'why? I was always there for you, kept you warm and dry and took you everywhere you wanted to go without complaint' - I feel really bad about it.

So I make my son stand there till the car has gone
Ah, you old softie BV.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2013, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I am ashamed to say that I do get attached to my cars. I don't part with them until they are beyond repair and when their little bodies are unceremoniously hoisted onto the back of scrap metal merchants lorry, their little bodies swinging on the end of the chains and I know I can hear them saying 'why? I was always there for you, kept you warm and dry and took you everywhere you wanted to go without complaint' - I feel really bad about it.

So I make my son stand there till the car has gone
Like I said in my first post here, I absolutely adored Tina and, when the day came for me to pick up my next car and I was sat with the salesman, I was flooding with tears.

He said he'd never seen anybody so upset about getting a newer car. I said I wasn't upset about that, but I was upset about leaving my darling old lady with strangers when she'd done nothing wrong. Sounds daft, but it was almost like abandoning a loving pet. I still regret it even now, even though it was about 12 years ago now. I should have kept her.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2013, 07:45 AM

Having owned many new cars, I have become very blasé about the whole thing, but one thing I am aware of is the fact that folks will pay say forty grand for a motor, house it in a nice garage, wash and polish it every week, then leave it on a supermarket car park where, all and sundry open their car doors into it, graze their shopping trollies against it etc etc, I now think it's bonkers to pay that amount of money, for an object, left to the mercy of the general public.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

28-09-2013, 08:01 AM

Don't think we have ever spent more than a couple of thousand for a car and most were in the hundreds no where near a thousand. The idea of paying more than our mortgage for a car much as we love them seems like madness especially as you can't control what happens to them as you say.
Archer
Adelaide, South Australia
Archer is male  Archer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 08:11 PM

Not just a "female thing" and nothing to be ashamed of either...I buy cars I really like, not just as a means of transport, but something to enjoy driving.
My average time to keep a car is 10 years...I do get attached to them.
My current car was my retirement present to myself and the test of time is the fact I still get butterflies in my tummy when I get it out for a drive.
It had its 11th birthday on August 27th...46,000 kilometers (about 28,000 miles)

mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 09:24 PM

Never had any kind of attachment. It's just a piece of engineering. It's serves it's purpose just like any other piece of engineering that we own. I don't get attached to inanimate objects.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2013, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
Never had any kind of attachment. It's just a piece of engineering. It's serves it's purpose just like any other piece of engineering that we own. I don't get attached to inanimate objects.
Dead right, it is only a piece of metal.
I saw on the tv last night where a mini hit a brand new jag on the M42. Both cars were right offs, but the Jag suffered more than the mini, and it was only 3 weeks old
Imagine seeing your car of that age just a pile of scrap, it doesn't pay to buy new.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top