Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2014, 03:05 PM

Re: 5 to 7 portions of fruit and veg

I have half a banana with breakfast, a small salad at lunch or a veg soup followed by a small handful of blueberries topped with a small amount of fromage frais. Always have veg or salad included in my evening meal and another small handful of blueberries. Not to keen on most apples or oranges but love most other fruits and eat a good variety. I love veg too apart from courgettes and aubergines. Not sure if I eat the recommend amounts but I don't really care.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
The latest advice now is that 5-7 portions of fruit and veg could help prevent cancer. First, what is actually meant by 'a portion'? With the price of fruit and veg nowadays, there will be many folk who just cannot afford to heed that advice. What do you all think?
Was this was an April fool spoof too

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-26829333
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2014, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Just did some googling and 1) a portion is a half cup of chopped fruit or veg or a cup of leafy veg and 2) nutritional values of fresh vs frozen not huge but frozen likely to have lower water soluble vitamin content.
I think I'd prefer to know the weights involved but then, say 7 times half a cup?

Seems rather a lot of veg to me!

We tend to eat more vegetables anyway and I'm not one for fruit although I'll eat in Spain if I'm there on holiday if I get the chance.

Supermarket fruit is as hard as wood and seems tasteless to me, well, last time I tried any it was.

If we had an independent green grocer I'd be tempted to try again - but we don't have one locally.

We had bubble & squeak on Monday - potato, cabbage & onion left overs from Sunday lunch!

Nuffin wrong with that - I grew up on it - and drippin' toast!! stevmk2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2014, 06:18 PM

Portion size for 5 a day...
NHS

http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/5aday/doc...tion_guide.pdf
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2014, 09:08 PM

That's solved what I was wondering about Meg, thanks.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top