Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 07:47 AM

Re: Cars parked on pavements

Originally Posted by seacroft ->
This reminded me of several years ago when I still had that nasty habit of working I would park my company car outside the house partly on the curb to allow max room for passing cars along the avenue which is about three and half cars wide.

My wifes car would be parked on our short driveway, the lady who lived opposite complained that she was unable to easily exit her drive due to my car and when I pointed out there was sufficient room for a Sherman tank she reported me to Police for parking on the kerb.

I was advised to stop doing this so I complied and began to park fully on the carriageway up to the kerb edge, this of course made things worse for the lady opposite, PC plod was called back again and informed her that I was parking now quite correctly and causing no obstruction.

He privately confided to me that lady still had room for a double decker.

A short while later the lady moved home, why do ladys all seem to have trouble manoeuvring ???
You sound just like a previous neighbour of mines. I should've have reported him to the police. What a silly thing to do to blame the woman's driving ability. You were the one in the wrong.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 07:56 AM

We often have parking wars in our road, when some folk are going out for the day, they purposely move their second car from their driveway onto the road, to stop other folks parking there, in their absence.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 07:58 AM

Amazes me if anyone realises another driver has a problem exiting their property (whether they could drive a tank or not)
why they wold not simply park so they could get out easily. This is the thing that can start neighbourhood feuds.

I hate pavement parkers with a vengeance having pushed a pushchair and wheel chair, having to use a wheel chair sometimes and crutches, walking with two dogs. Why should the pedestrian have to take their life in their hands and walk around the cars in the road, where the car should be ?

IMO they don't take it seriously round here they told me to get evidence (number plate and car id and road they were parked on) so I thought I know I will get them irrefutable evidence so I went out with my camera and took pictures of the roads in the vicinity making sure I captured all the cars and number plates. Passed the folder onto the council and they said ? can't help you sorry we have no resources to stop this.
seacroft
york
seacroft is male  seacroft has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Myra ->
You sound just like a previous neighbour of mines. I should've have reported him to the police. What a silly thing to do to blame the woman's driving ability. You were the one in the wrong.
You are correct to say that when I parked up on the kerb to provide more road space for passing cars etc. along the avenue and although it was not my intention by so doing giving more space to the lady opposite I was in the wrong I stopped doing this when requested by the Police.

I then began parking to comply with the traffic regulations/laws as was confirmed by the Police, she the neighbour still said she found things difficult with at least two average car widths of road if she decided to turn right out of her drive, turning left was no problem.

I am afraid she was the one being selfish, because of the high number of cars on the road we all must expect from time to time to have to use reverse and turn the steering wheel, she really wanted me to always leave my car elsewhere, when she had boyfriends stopover where do you think they left their cars yes opposite me.

My wife when driving her Honda Accord estate in and out at these times had no problem in so doing, the lady across had a mini !!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 09:43 AM

What is needed is consistency. In our road, it has been custom and practice to park with two wheels on the pavement on the east side of the road while parking normally on the west side. This evolved naturally over three decades without any "help" from the local authority from residents using common sense. A couple of years ago, the council parking martinets decided to penalise anyone parking with two wheels on the pavement (ie - the entire east side of the one mile long road). For almost a week there was a continuous traffic jam all the way along the road as with cars parked entirely on the roadway on both sides of the road, there was not room for two cars to pass each other and there were no passing spaces. As a result, and after serious complaints from the emergency services and delivery drivers, who could not get their vehicles down the road at all, the council backtracked and let the situation revert to the common sense approach initiated by the residents over 30+ years. They refused to withdraw the parking tickets they issued over those few days until a massive publicity campaign in the local press forced them to do so.
So in my road, parking with two wheels on the kerb is not only acceptable, it is sensible and responsible. One street over and you are in a different London Borough with totally different byelaws with a cadre of jobsworth, paid-by-the-ticket traffic wardens who dispense parking tickets with machine-like efficiency - you can't even argue with them as I have not yet met one who speaks English to a reasonable level. I understand from a friend who works for that council that a majority of the tickets which are challenged, win on appeal - so have been wrongly given in the first place.
In the words of Eddie from "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" - "I f***ing hate traffic wardens!"
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 10:12 AM

The problem is that there are too many vehicles about today. The family across from us have a van and two cars. The van parks in their drive, one car in front of their house and the second car in front of their neighbour's house. What will happen when all households have 3 vehicles heaven knows !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
The problem is that there are too many vehicles about today. The family across from us have a van and two cars. The van parks in their drive, one car in front of their house and the second car in front of their neighbour's house. What will happen when all households have 3 vehicles heaven knows !
I agree Alan, one family here have 6 cars, 2 of them are sorn but still parked in the parking bays means I as a late comer homer park up the road instead of in the flat's car park.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by seacroft ->
You are correct to say that when I parked up on the kerb to provide more road space for passing cars etc. along the avenue and although it was not my intention by so doing giving more space to the lady opposite I was in the wrong I stopped doing this when requested by the Police.

I then began parking to comply with the traffic regulations/laws as was confirmed by the Police, she the neighbour still said she found things difficult with at least two average car widths of road if she decided to turn right out of her drive, turning left was no problem.

I am afraid she was the one being selfish, because of the high number of cars on the road we all must expect from time to time to have to use reverse and turn the steering wheel, she really wanted me to always leave my car elsewhere, when she had boyfriends stopover where do you think they left their cars yes opposite me.

My wife when driving her Honda Accord estate in and out at these times had no problem in so doing, the lady across had a mini !!
Apologies Seacroft. Your first post sounded one sided.

My neighbour decide to buy a house with a driveway for one car when he had three cars. His huge garage was full of stuff that he ran his business from. He tookit upon himself to park two other cars at the space I had to reverse out of which required more than a three point turn. It was extremly selfish.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
If that happened where I live someone would soon report it.
Precisely!
If you ask your local Council you will find that there's a whole range of things that they are responsible for but don't actively do anything to save money BUT if you make a complaint they are legally obliged to deal with it.

This is just one of the side effects of the Government's austerity measures and more will become apparent as this parliament continues.

Election promises are meaningless unless the electorate actively chase politicians to do what they either promised to do or implied they'd deal with. stevmk2
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2015, 07:26 PM

Remind me never to move back into a road with cars ,pavements and people

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top