Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Re: New Cars

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
With that radio, do you need a code to reset it? This normally is the case when power is removed, as in disconnecting the battery.
Yes thank you I have the code but still couldn't set the radio or clock , it is such a faff pressing buttons . I only drive short journeys now so can manage without it.

How I wish I still had my old Volvo so easy to figure out.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2015, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by shirley ->
With ours you need a code to reset it, we tried to get in touch with the person who we got the car off but no joy, thought he may have written it down on the paperwork we got with the car, there is a slot to right it down, but he was not that clever. tried all variations of what we could think off, nothing.

You're right Shirley, there is normally a radio code to reset it.
Your garage should be able to tell you who to go to, you need someone who does radio de-coders if I remember rightly.

(Whoops, sorry Meg, only just spotted your post above this one).
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 10:30 AM

Thanks Mups, I am the same as Meg I now only do short journeys so I carry a mini soundstation around with me which plays music for me to sing along to, I put a SD card into.

Miss the radio though.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2015, 11:12 AM

Well, I can definitely praise the Fiat Doblo for being uncomplicated - hell it even has rear drum brakes. Nothing confusing in the cab (based on a van). Might be an ugly son of a gun in some people's eyes (most) but the load capacity is feeenominal and it goes like stink (now I have fixed the DPF problem).

Not my car by the way but I helped with the choice .
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 11:32 AM

Well I am very pleased with my BMW 1 Series which I had new last year. It is fast with a turbocharger and comfortable but it is indeed bristling with gadgets. Yesterday it suddenly announced that it wanted me to blow up a tyre and when I did so the warning went away. But how do tyre pressure sensors work - I can't see how to connect them to the car's electronics while the wheels are spinning?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 11:50 AM

Good point, there are such things as rotary couplings used on pneumatic mechanical handling equpiment, presumamably they have incorporated one into the axle.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 11:59 AM

I'd use a sensor measuring the change of distance to the road surface. But there might be an easier way of doing it. It's just a thought.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by PhilipM ->
Well I am very pleased with my BMW 1 Series which I had new last year. It is fast with a turbocharger and comfortable but it is indeed bristling with gadgets. Yesterday it suddenly announced that it wanted me to blow up a tyre and when I did so the warning went away. But how do tyre pressure sensors work - I can't see how to connect them to the car's electronics while the wheels are spinning?
Tyre pressure monitors rely on the wheel sensors used in the anti lock braking system it measures how fast the wheel is turning and works out the difference between speeds if the tyre loses pressure
PhilipM
Wales, UK
PhilipM is male  PhilipM has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 04:23 PM

Thanks very much for your thoughts on that bit of nerdyness folks! My guess would also be something to do with the ABS as that is quite sophisticated.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2015, 10:01 PM

Most car radios used to have a small re-chargeable button cell inside to control the operating circuits like 'keycodes' and also to remember certain functions. As do most TV's: its the way it can remember how it was tuned and set up by the user when the power is turned off.

In the old days it was possible to place the radio in the freezer for a day and the code could be re-set when it thawed out.

This process would briefly flatten the small battery and forget the information that had been programmed by the manufacturer so it would ask for a new keycode.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top