Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 12:34 PM

Re: Cars

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I've been looking around at possibly replacing our 2002 Punto this year but I am appalled at the asking prices of 2nd-hand cars now.
Our little car's probably worth about £800 at most but today I saw one the same age and condition as ours on a forecourt for £1999!!

Something's skewed as far as I can see in pricing and I still do not trust ANY car salesman! stevmk2
I suppose you've got to see it a bit from the dealers point of view
He takes in a car in px, he'll have to do a history check on it, then it might need a service( parts and labour ) then fix any faults (ok he's probably seen what's needed and taken that into account) plus it might be stuck on his forecourt for a while taking up space then he's got his other overheads as well, but having said al that I tend to agree with you just wait till you try and haggle on a newer car its a thing of the past it seems, even with a cash deal
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 12:38 PM

Only ever had one low mileage car and we soon realised why it had hardly been used, we always buy higher mileage cars now that have proved they have worked out the original faults.

I am not sure cars have become over priced when you are down the cheaper end of the market we buy from the prices are similar to what they have been for ages, what is happening is people are not maintaining their vehicles including cleaning the insides out occasionally !

If you want a big car they seem very much cheaper but watch out for the increased car tax you will pay if the engine is of a decent size or the car is a certain age.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
its advisable to regularly give the car a good long blast down the motorway/dual carriageway if you can
Yep ... that's what we did. I bought the car a few months ago (2nd hand from a dealer) and after a while, the warning light came on displaying engine failure and the car went tnto 'limp mode'!!!

Very scary at the time but having searched the internet and read all manner of horror stories about the cost of fixing it, we decided to do it ourselves.

We used some Wynn's particulate filter cleaner stuff, tried to do a regen and eventually drove a fair distance on the motorway etc.

'Himself' got a diagnostic programme to use with a laptop, plugged it into the car and the filter is fine now. Can't remember the original reading but it was quite alarming.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 04:43 PM

It's probably only worth buying a diesel if you do 12,000miles+ otherwise it can cost more in fuel than you will save by buying diesel in the first place
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2015, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Yep ... that's what we did. I bought the car a few months ago (2nd hand from a dealer) and after a while, the warning light came on displaying engine failure and the car went tnto 'limp mode'!!!

Very scary at the time but having searched the internet and read all manner of horror stories about the cost of fixing it, we decided to do it ourselves.

We used some Wynn's particulate filter cleaner stuff, tried to do a regen and eventually drove a fair distance on the motorway etc.

'Himself' got a diagnostic programme to use with a laptop, plugged it into the car and the filter is fine now. Can't remember the original reading but it was quite alarming.
Oh no, a car and a man in the "limp mode", you do have more than your share of bad luck

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top