Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2010, 03:31 PM

Diets may determine dementia risk

Tell us something we didn't know!

I don't think it takes rocket science to know that if you put a load of toxic crap in your body it's going to be far worse than putting natural vitamin-rich fruits and vegtables in

The foods we choose to eat may determine our risk of dementia, mounting evidence suggests.

Latest work in Archives of Neurology shows sticking to a diet rich in nuts, fish and vegetables significantly cuts the chance of developing Alzheimer's.

A "Mediterranean diet" containing plenty of fresh produce and less high-fat dairy and red meat has long been thought to improve general health.

Experts believe it is a combination of nutrients in foods that is important.

But they stressed that diet was not the sole cause or solution where dementia is concerned.

Good combinations

Dr Yian Gu and colleagues at Columbia University Medical Centre in the US studied the diets of 2,148 retirement-age adults living in New York.

Over the four years of the study, 253 of these older adults developed Alzheimer's disease.

When the researchers scrutinised the diets of all of the individuals in the study, a pattern emerged.

Adults whose diets included more salad dressing, nuts, fish, poultry, fruits and green leafy vegetables, and less high-fat dairy, red meat and butter, were far less likely to develop dementia.

But it is the varying levels of specific nutrients that these food combinations offer that is important, say the researchers.

Diets rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, vitamin E and folate but low in saturated fat and vitamin B12 appear to be best.

Experts have long suspected that nutrients might modify dementia risk.

Folate reduces circulating levels of the blood amino acid homocysteine which has been linked to Alzheimer's.

Similarly, vitamin E might be protective via its strong antioxidant effect, while monosaturated and saturated fatty acids could increase dementia risk by encouraging blood clot formation, say the researchers.

Rebecca Wood, chief executive of the Alzheimer's Research Trust, said: "Understanding the connection between diet and dementia risk may help prevent the development of diseases like Alzheimer's for some people.

"Adapting our lifestyles as we get older - by exercising regularly, watching what we eat and maintaining an active social life - can reduce dementia risk.

"Unfortunately, no diet or lifestyle factor can eliminate dementia risk entirely."

With 35 million people worldwide living with dementia, she said it was important to focus efforts on research to develop new treatments.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8615456.stm
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2010, 04:24 PM

Re: Diets may determine dementia risk

Thanks, Azz, very interesting post!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2010, 07:18 PM

I also saw a report that found keeping your brains active - taking up new pursuits or hobbies, learning a language, doing a course etc. will help.

Studies of large groups of
people have shown that those who
achieve higher levels of education,
have more mentally demanding
occupations, or participate in higher
numbers of mentally stimulating leisure
activities have around a 50% lower risk
of developing dementia.
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2010, 07:27 PM

I think that this is a hard one..my mum has vascular dementia and as kids we were brought up on fresh veg and all homemade foods but most of it stodgy fill me up foods!!!...

She was a very busy lady running all sorts of fund raising things so her mind was very mentally stimulating ... I do worry that this is something that I will suffer from and have reduced eating high fat content foods my OH and myself have never been very big red meat eaters.....
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2010, 07:36 PM

Do you eat things like biscuits, chocs, sweets, crisps, bread, white pasta etc?
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2010, 07:41 PM

I do..but not too much.. biscuits I usually make myself.. chocs and sweets only occasionally ususally granary bread but admit I do like white pasta...

It's hard tho isn't it
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2010, 07:44 PM

Guilty for crisps, bread, rice and pasta; very little red meat (mostly chicken and fish) and lots of fruit and vegetables. But have to have cheese, ham and bacon
jj'sgirl
Kent UK

14-04-2010, 07:45 PM

Oh yes cheese is one of my down falls but what I do is keep grated cheese in the fridge and you don't eat so much....or perhaps thats all in the mind!!!!!!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

14-04-2010, 10:22 PM

Cheese: right now I have Port Salut, Boursin garlic and herbs, aged cheddar, sliced (American) mozzarella for sandwiches with ham or bacon, shredded mozzarella for pizza and a few soup recipe sand parmagiana reggiano for pasta dishes ......
jj'sgirl
Kent UK

15-04-2010, 12:06 PM

my mouth is watering..........................

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top