Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 06:06 PM

Re: Do you take any vitamins or supplements?

Fish oil - Vit C and recently - Vogel tinctures
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 06:34 PM

No thank you, never felt the need. Eat sensibly with a balanced diet and plenty of exercise seems to work for me. I've been hovering around 13 stone for years.
indenial
Lincolnshire UK
indenial is female 

03-02-2016, 06:40 PM

I don't take any sort of pills, but try to add a couple of dessertspoons of olive oil to a salad every lunchtime, and add shelled hemp seeds to my breakfast porridge.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I buy a lot of herbal supplements - much easier (and more cost effective) than preparing your own.

Vitamins I would generally agree that your body can assimilate these best from foods, rather than synthetic ones. Not the case for all though, and the concentrations can be better in prepared solutions.

I agree Azz.
I also think as we age our body's may not all be able to assimilate things as efficiently, so could do with a bit of help.

I have a daily multi-vit & mineral, a plant sterol, and drink Aloe Vera juice every morning - oh, I forgot - my glucosamine with green lipped mussel!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree Azz.
I also think as we age our body's may not all be able to assimilate things as efficiently, so could do with a bit of help.

I have a daily multi-vit & mineral, a plant sterol, and drink Aloe Vera juice every morning - oh, I forgot - my glucosamine with green lipped mussel!
I need to take vitamin D on a daily basis because, for some reason, I don't absorb it as well as I used to. The doctor who told me to do this said everybody in Britain should take it during the winter because we do not get enough sunshine. My nails become ridged but during the summer this improves.
Other than that I try to eat lots of fresh fruit and veg to help my vitamin and mineral intake.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 07:31 PM

Pleased to see that I am not the only one

Flax seed / fish oils are great sources of Omega 3

Organic eggs will have Vit D too Twink.. but what you need is a good holiday somewhere sunny

Mups - you are right, as we age our digestive system is less able to assimilate nutrients. Partly because we produce less acid but also because of a lifetime of 'frankenfoods' playing havoc with our systems
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 07:31 PM

We're taking Vit D through the winter. There appears to be evidence that it is protective against dementia. It does not appear harmful in normal dosage.
We also take Glucosamine and Chondroitin (?sp), which similarly does not seem to be harmful and may well help joints.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 07:35 PM

I don't take vitamins or supplements on a regular basis.

However I use natural remedies to treat ailments and/or to boost my immune system in the winter periods or before I go on a cruise.

I take high strength 500mg-1000mg Vitamin C capsules in the form of Calcium Ascorbate which means it isn't acidic and doesn't upset your stomach.

I take Sage drops in tea

I use Grapefruit Seed Extract for any colds/flu or infections and for any tummy upsets or bugs like Norovirus. It's one of the most powerful natural antibiotics as well as being anti-viral, anti-sceptic and anti lots of other things. Not for those who need to avoid grapefruits though like those on statins.

I use goldenseal with eyewash solution for any eye infections unless the infection is bad enough that it requires antibiotic drops.

That's about it. Everything else is made from real ingredients

For example I make an infusion tea using slices of cut fresh ginger, cinnamon sticks, lemon juice and green tea leaves.

I make a morning cleansing drink by blitzing half a complete lemon inc skin/pith and mixing with hot water and honey.
Add whiskey for a hot toddy if suffering colds/flu etc.

I put plenty of fresh garlic, ginger, chillies in food that I cook.
Eat plenty of veg esp green veg and steer clear of anything with sugar in it except for the odd treat
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Pleased to see that I am not the only one

Flax seed / fish oils are great sources of Omega 3

Organic eggs will have Vit D too Twink.. but what you need is a good holiday somewhere sunny

Mups - you are right, as we age our digestive system is less able to assimilate nutrients. Partly because we produce less acid but also because of a lifetime of 'frankenfoods' playing havoc with our systems
Where are you going to take me then Azz
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 08:29 PM

I take Glucosamine & Chondroitin with Vitamin C for joints but more especially for my back.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top