Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 10:46 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Sometimes you have to break the rule to get a job done.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 09:38 AM

Sunday smile...a reminder of watching for Mr Hitchcocks cameo appearances.

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 03:10 PM

Always great to hear from you Pug me lad, I hope your in the pink.

Yes I know you’ve been in many scrapes in your day Pug, your a survivor by all accounts. I’ve always had great respect for the men and women at the dangerous end of things.
Then there are the ones who do nothing and certainly don’t risk their lives for their country, who get fabulous money for doing nothing, the politicians, they will try every trick and pull every stroke in the book to hold onto that golden goose, they will never willingly walk away, they never do, some are like chameleons and change colour when it suits them, eventually they have to be dragged kicking and screaming out, it’s like trying to get a periwinkle out of the shell with a spoon. I’ve no time for any self centred politicians of any party, I don’t bother with politics at all, nor do I vote anymore, they are all tarred with the same brush as far as I’m concerned, and they can all go to hell in the same boat, born liars the lot of them as has been proved to the British public over the last couple of years.

Yes Solo, a lot of jobs were dangerous back then, I’ve soldered tens of thousands of items on asbestos pads with the blowtorch blowing the dust into my face all my working life with thankfully no ill effects (I still use asbestos pads for soldering in the shed)
Sure enough the days of walking out of one job and into another were short lived, but good while it lasted.

Nice clip that showing Hitchcock's appearances, I read something years ago about Hitch being obsessed with Tippi Hedren when they were making the film “Marnie”, but with Hollywood stories you never know the real truth.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 04:01 PM

Seemed Hitch was a bit of an oddball....dressed in drag and liked blondes namely Grace Kelly, Vera Miles, Kim Novack, Janet leigh and Tippi Hedren...but don't most men prefer blondes!

All I know is that he made brilliant films Marnie being one of my favourites along with The Birds and Phycho..so his being a bit odd never coloured my views of his abilities. We had enough oddballs of our own without worrying about Hitch and his antics.

Reading autobiographies of someones life story often paints a different picture than you imagined from their screen image or presence...and there again I would never imagined that Miss Hedren would have kept lions in her home at Shambala where her daughter Melanie Griffiths slept and played with them....now that is odd and far worse than dressing up in a dress surely .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2019, 09:07 PM

Ah the plot thickens, Tippi kept lions, I knew a forest ranger who kept mountain goats, he was arrested after a report was sent to the police by the RSPCA.

I’m trying to imagine Hitch standing in high heels, a flowery frock with a ribbon in his hair, and his big belly sticking out, somehow the vision just won’t take form, thank God for the defensive mechanism in the brain that blocks horrible images out.
Surely the strangest cross dresser of the lot had to be J. Edgar Hoover, for relaxation after a hard day in the interview room and hoarse from screaming at every actor in Hollywood “Are you a member of the communist party!”, his favourite method of relaxing was to don a pair of white bobby socks and a pink poodle skirt, try to connect that with his fat bulldog face dancing around a living room.
As they rightly say it takes all sorts to make a world.
Of course there’s nothing wrong with all that these day, and rightly so if that’s what you fancy, but may I suggest they change the words of that old song “Oh Lord it’s so hard to be humble” to “Oh Lord it’s so hard to be normal”
solo
UK

01-10-2019, 10:38 AM

Who would have thought Hoover had a softer side...just goes to show what goes on behind 4 walls needs to stay behind 4 walls or you could be well and truly 'umbled' or rumbled in his case

There are few pleasures in life that can be better than the smell of bacon cooking..so it was heartening to read today that those in the know now say "it isn't as bad" as they told us it was. Not that I took any notice of that bit of advice anyway.

I can leave an 'almost' full English breakfast alone as I don't care for beans or those hash brown thingies which turns the full English into a half American breckers anyway but nothing on this planet would make me give up a bacon butty.

As any trucker will tell you a bacon butty is well and truly part of our British culture right down to the core and over the years many of our men/women have happily marched on having been topped up with a cuppa and a bacon butty from the good old Naafi wagons who knew the way to a heart was through the stomach

Rather than deprive us of a national treasure by scare mongering, shame the know alls didn't mention buying nitrate free bacon is safe. Right I'm off to dip my bread in bacon fat...uncured of course

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

01-10-2019, 08:51 PM

I’m glad to hear you eat a good old fashioned breakfast Solo, Phyllis is the same, she wouldn’t miss her “Irish” breakfasts for the world, there’s little difference to the English breakfast, and thank God she’s as healthy as sin. A bowl of porridge does me, eat what you like when you like and to hell with the experts.

There was a real howler of a wind outside in the early hours this morning, I just knew as I lay in bed that something was going to be damaged or blown away, and sure enough as I looked out the bedroom window there was the felt blown off the little summer house and the wooden gate at the wall blown off it’s hinges, I was busy all day on the roof putting things right again, now I hear there’s a hurricane coming on Thursday, ah well no rest for the wicked.

I suppose they’ll be a lot of people up on the roofs repairing the damage after Thursday, I hope not.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2019, 09:33 PM

my roof is firm as are my foundations thus far, that is no guarantee of long term integrity though.
Pug
Chatterbox
East Anglia,UK
Pug is male  Pug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Who would have thought Hoover had a softer side...just goes to show what goes on behind 4 walls needs to stay behind 4 walls or you could be well and truly 'umbled' or rumbled in his case

There are few pleasures in life that can be better than the smell of bacon cooking..so it was heartening to read today that those in the know now say "it isn't as bad" as they told us it was. Not that I took any notice of that bit of advice anyway.

I can leave an 'almost' full English breakfast alone as I don't care for beans or those hash brown thingies which turns the full English into a half American breckers anyway but nothing on this planet would make me give up a bacon butty.

As any trucker will tell you a bacon butty is well and truly part of our British culture right down to the core and over the years many of our men/women have happily marched on having been topped up with a cuppa and a bacon butty from the good old Naafi wagons who knew the way to a heart was through the stomach

Rather than deprive us of a national treasure by scare mongering, shame the know alls didn't mention buying nitrate free bacon is safe. Right I'm off to dip my bread in bacon fat...uncured of course

It's ''Awite,Toots-the usual for me,bacon,egg,beans,slysa toast,tea no sugar...and my faggotty mate'd like freshly squeezed orange,gluten-free cereal,fat-free milk and a slice of multi-seed bread with olive spread,cut into quarters,please darlin'...''

THIS,is recognised as REAL trucker's,grub from Shetland to the Scilly Isles and everywhere in between,these days!
So when of late,we're inundated not JUST with plebian mincing dorks calling themselves 'truckers' who burst into tears if their hand-selected mug of decaf tea isn't stirred anticlockwise for thirteen seconds exactly,but who actually have NO idea how a 32-speed range-change twin-selector gearbox works,but know EXACTLY how suncream should be applied for maximum advantage....and who still believe CB Radio is the devil's work,but who can get 140 channels on Net-poxy-flix within a nano-second...even though they end up NOT avoiding the cock-up at the M4/M25 caused by some prat yakking on his mobile...weeeeell....I imagine my feelings regarding such pansyboy 'pretend' drivers,who can change gears downward ONLY if the bloody cruise-control is automatically disengaged when brakes are hit and burnt out,rather than downing gears in 4-clump twin-splitter sectors,thus bringing the 44 [usually] ton vehicle to a SAFE graduated deceleration whilst retaining FULL control AND still bringing warning to other HGV CB users of whatever it is that's gone t1ts-up THIS time....um....[I do apologise-I just realised the vehemence incorporated within....I'll shut-up & sod off-sorry]
solo
UK

02-10-2019, 01:31 PM

Well said Pugs. We have had to wait awhile for those words of wisdom from you and they were well worth the wait.

So much more than the safety basics for youngsters to be distracted from these days which are far more important and only realised when things go wrong. You would think being in charge of a something like a 22 wheeler would be enough to think about

No matter where I travelled coming back to the UK and stopping for a friendly truck stop breakfast or meal always meant you were well and truly home...and we had our favourites

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top