Join for free
Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Re: A Weighty Subject.

Azz, If I remember correctly, it was pretty near spot on the diet that you suggest, with restricted carbs. I followed the original 1972 diet, it's been messed about with since. Gary Taubes suggests much the same sort of diet now. His latest book, 'Why do we get fat' is an interesting read.

I hope you are counting your blessings - being an Ectomorph.
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2011, 04:39 PM

If you want a good healthy diet to follow the "Glycemic Index Diet" or better known as the G.I. Diet. It's not as drastic as the Atkins Diet. You can find lots of information about it on the web. Not unlike what Azz is suggesting but the G.I. list will give you the facts and figures on various foods and there recommendations.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2011, 04:39 PM

I don't know too much about the Atkins diet - but as far as I know it encourages or allows processed grains and sugars so long as they are low-carb - as low-carb is the priority.

Paleo only includes whole Stone Age foods: meat, fish, fruits, and vegetables etc - ie no processed stuff.

Might be worth revisiting it - but going Paleo this time
rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Atkins is unhealthy and virtually cuts out all carbs. which causes a build up of ketones in the blood which in turn has unpleasant side effects like bad breath dizziness nausea constipation and so on. Anyone on Akins Diet shouldn't stay on it for long term. I personally wouldn't go on it at all.
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.
Nuttygran is female  Nuttygran has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2011, 07:05 PM

The original 1972 Atkins has been adulterated by the money men - who followed Dr Atkins himself. The '72 did cut out many carbs including grains & sugars but allowed salad & green veg' grown above ground. Potatoes for example is a high sugar carb so a no no.

Diabetics are advised to follow the GI principles. I really do believe the Paleo diet is a much better idea. However I will stay with calorie counting which gives me more choice.

To each his or her own.
rueben
lancs uk

23-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nuttygran ->
The original 1972 Atkins has been adulterated by the money men - who followed Dr Atkins himself. The '72 did cut out many carbs including grains & sugars but allowed salad & green veg' grown above ground. Potatoes for example is a high sugar carb so a no no.

Diabetics are advised to follow the GI principles. I really do believe the Paleo diet is a much better idea. However I will stay with calorie counting which gives me more choice.

To each his or her own.
Hi Nutty--- I'm not familiar with the Paleo diet! Although healthy diet isn't quite the same thing as slimming diet I don't think I could follow any set diet for long as I enjoy allsorts of food good and bad. Eliminating foods I enjoy would be difficult for me and I find like lots of people talking about it is one thing but doing it is another.I am failing miserably to even start to lose that 1/2 st. Today has been another gateau and cream day and I have just had some delicious fish and chips whilst sharing a bottle of wine with O/H. Do you know what I am thinking!! I'll start tomorrow How many people have put of until tomorrow.
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.

23-06-2011, 08:42 PM

Lol Rueban, tomorrow is another day..... and the next...
Enjoy!!
Nuttygran
Northumberland, UK.

25-06-2011, 09:45 AM

Hi everyone, I weighed myself this morning & I have lost 1.2lbs since last Saturday. That is fine for me, if I can keep it to about a pound or better still 1½lb per week.

Good luck to anyone who follows.
Geordiegirl
Suffolk UK
Geordiegirl is female  Geordiegirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2011, 10:00 AM

Welldone "Nuttygran" I managed a whole 1/2lb this week but at least its off BTW whereabouts are ou actually from cos as you can see I am Geordie born and bred and proud of it
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nuttygran ->
Hi everyone, This newby is trying to lose weight. I'm not in any weight loss club, I am counting calories at the moment but believe me I've tried most things.

The reason this time is that a granddaughter is getting married in August but really it is for long term health and my arthritic joints. I'd like to lose 14lbs by the middle of August. I thought I'd post any loss or gain here once a week.

Would any would be 'losers' like to join me?
Hi NG A few thoughts on losing weight.
Having been the same weigh for most of my life I suddenly started to put weight on.

I was still very active but clearly eating more than I had done previously and it occurred to me I was not doing this from hunger, it was more a psychological thing. I was eating to 'fill a need', boredom/frustration/loss/because I could.
Once I had established this fact I realised it didn't so much matter what I ate more that I ate something and if I didn't buy 'naughty but nice things to eat' I would raid the store cupbard and eat the dried fruit/nuts intended for cooking .

I found it helped to have a ready supply of things I could eat at hand for the times when I felt must eat something and every morning I prepared a little jug with strips of celery/carrot/spring onion/peppers and a supply of fruit to head me away from temptation. I ate the same meals but used a smaller plate and had smaller portions. I lost weight and continued to use this strategy and although I have never managed to get down to my previous weigh my weight remains static and I don't have to resort to the see saw world of going on and off diets which isn't very kind to ones body and general wellbeing.

Page 3 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top