Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Wonda
Sussex, England
Wonda is female  Wonda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2011, 08:06 PM

Re: B12

My husband and I both take B12 but for different reasons to Callumsmum, we are both diabetic. I am diet controlled and have been for about 14 years now and hubby is on insulin and tablets. On another forum i saw a post that mentioned Metformin ( a drug for treating diabetes) and lack of B12 and took the decision for us both to take it.

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.co...12_deficiency/
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2011, 12:25 AM

This is an eye opener for me as I hadn't realised how serious a lack of B12 is. I'd always thought that it was usually Vegetarians/Vegans who could possibly have a defficiency of it.
callumsmum
warwickshire uk
callumsmum is female  callumsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2011, 04:31 AM

When i was younger i had symtoms but they would just come and go it was only when my left foot started to pain me i wondered what was wrong i am a martyr i limped around on a bad foot for over 6 years as it was not every day just a attack now and then.As i have psoriasis my doctor decided i had psoratic arthritis ..!!! When i disputed this he decided i had rheumatism !!!!!!I was sent to rheumatology and they found nothing after scanning me and doing tests ..it even attacked my left eye at one stage it went blood red and stayed red for 6 weeks and i found myself in a eye hospital being poked and prodded and they found nothing either..It was the periphal nerves playing up and they just didnt diagnose it..
As i said before it can lead to other illness and trigger Autoimune diseases and a lot of old people just stop absorbing B12 so you often find at the doctors that a lot of elderly people get the injections..As my body stopped absorbing B12 i then bought some Methycobalamin Lozenges which go straight into the blood stream as the B12 tablets dont do a great deal for me ..
what annoyed me the most was when i was really ill i couldnt get downstairs and twice i lost my speech and the doctor wouldnt come out as where i lived they only did home visits for the over 65 age group and at the time i was 47 so i was stuck upstairs couldnt lift my legs to get downstairs and as soon as i improved i headed for the doctor and had many appointments when i felt like doing him a mischief..I knew it was something really bad as when i was stuck upstairs a friend who suffers with her back sent me some of her prescription pain killers and they didnt work as the pain was so intense..Nerve pain is very chronic..As soon as they started the injections the pain went in my back like magic overnight ..and it took me about 18 months to stabilise..But as B12 is water soluble it can soon leave your system..
here is a bit about B12
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anaemia...roduction.aspx
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2011, 04:59 PM

i just stared taking b12 as have gone without eating meat for 2 half months and feel lots beter can sleep good to now abdhave mre energy
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 03:13 PM

Hi, I have only just been diagnoised with Vit. B12 and will be having injections and I am also Diabetic.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 05:29 PM

My daughter is just 27 and has a B12 shortage, her problem is that her body cannot absorb B12 so even tablets dont help.
She has injections which I give her.

She had weakness in her hands , forgetfulness, depression, tiredness and she became unsteady on her feet to the point she needed to hang on to things as she walked . During all of this our GP ignored the simple blood test that would have shown the problem and insisted she was depressed or had other 'female' problems.

Its interesting to know that most dementia patients have a B12 shoratage and B12 shortage can cause dementia symtoms.. Like the chicken and the egg!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top