Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 01:42 PM

Smoking in cars.

Banning smoking in your own car is the last straw for me. Why can't they just let us old smokers die off in peace?. All these anti-smoking bans were introduced to help us all live longer, now that we are living longer we are a burden on the states resources, does that make sense to you?. From what I can observe the young are still taking up the smoking habit and with bans everywhere, it's cool to smoke(they think). How many lives had the ban saved?, I read three cases of people losing their lives because of it, one old lady fell from a hospital balcony trying to get a quick smoke, hundreds of public houses have closed here, flushing thousands of well paid secure jobs down the toilet, all because of the smoking ban. The 'Irish pub', once a place of fun, music, and laughter is now a mere memory, I say enough is enough and stop this nannying before it gets completely out of hand. The truth is the Government don't give a damn about your health, more control over you is what they are after.
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 02:56 PM

Re: Smoking in cars.

Totally agree with you there Jem! I am an ex-smoker (2 years now). As I understand it, is it only in Ireland that they're enforcing this new rule?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 02:59 PM

Why can't they just let us old smokers die off in peace?
Jem we don't want you dying off just yet

I certainly wouldn't want anyone smoking in my car and I wouldn't be very comfortable sitting in a car in which someone was smoking, but I guess what you do in you own car is your business.
It is up to the individual to decide whether or not they want to ride in your car.
Bridie
northants
Bridie is female  Bridie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 03:07 PM

I am an ex smoker, I gave up because I cant afford it any more and Im glad I dont anymore because it would drive me mad the way they hound smokers now. Surely if passive smoking was so bad for you our generation would all be dead now because as I remember it I grew up in a fog of tobacco smoke as people smoked everywhere. I used to work in a shopping centre when I was in my twenties and we smoked in the shop, had an ashtray on the counter and put our cigarettes down to go and serve the customers. Watching old TV programmes recently it showed people smoking in hospitals even though I dont remember that personally.

Pretty soon people will have to lock themselves in a small dark toilet in their own houses to smoke.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 03:32 PM

Jem, I'm with you on this. I am an ex-smoker, gave up over two years ago for my health. The one time I think this rule should come into force is when there are children in the car. As long as you're not hurting anyone else and driving safely, as Meg says you should be allowed to. It won't be long before that rule comes over here.
Lady Angler
Lancashire
Lady Angler is female  Lady Angler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 03:55 PM

I wonder how that rule would work with people smoking in a convertible with the top down......Hmmmm
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 05:01 PM

I think its prohibited to smoke while you are driving here. I smoke but prefer not to when driving anyway as I like to have both hands free to control the car. Other than that I think if you want to smoke in your car then you should be able to.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 05:03 PM

if your smoking in your car and if you had other in that didnt mind cant see the problem
I have never smoked so no smoking in oir car or home its up to the person
whos car it is
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 05:04 PM

With you 100%, Jem! I was reluctantly forced to stop smoking in January because of worsening COPD; miss it every day. Dog Lover has a good point about passive smoking, I grew up in a house with smokers and worked in a smoking environment for 39 years.... Big Brother is just going too far!!
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2011, 06:04 PM

i think most of us oldies grew up with people smokeing all around us,yet here we are growing older an liveing longer,i think the powers that be are trying to make us feel like lepers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top