Join for free
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2012, 02:54 PM

Dieting

Looking on the 'What are you having for lunch/dinner' and noticed that many of us seem to be on diets.

I was on a low fat diet using Xenical tablets from the doctor but after a month had only lost 4lbs. My husband was on the Atkins diet (low carb) for the same time and has lost 19lbs so on Monday I started the low carb myself.

The Atkins diet has got some bad press from people who don't know how it works.

For breakfast My husband has a large hamburger, lettuce,tomato, gherkin and cheese with an egg on top finishing of with some strawberries.

That keeps him ok until he has a bowl of chicken and vegetable soup (home made low carb). Then his evening meal is maybe low carb German sausage and eggs, celery and cream cheese or an omlette.

Because he never feels hungry it is perfect for him although at the beginning he felt unwell from having no caffiene and very few carbs, no bread, pasta or rice.

Not only has he lost 19lbs but his blood sugar (he is a diabetic) has gone to a very normal 4.9

So how is everyone else losing weight and are your ways working? Whatever you are doing good luck
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 10:18 AM

Re: Dieting

Since I stopped working with horses, I have piled on the beef - there is no other way to describe it! Stood on the scales nearly a month ago and almost burst into tears ... all my own fault of course so I decided to do something about it!

I have managed to lose 8lbs. over the past 3/4 weeks by cutting out some carbohydrates ... bread/potatoes etc. I also cook most of my own food and try to be fairly fat free although I do not go over the score.
I make sure I eat 3 meals a day and do not snack ... I have a couple of tea biscuits am and pm with my cuppie!

To make sure I eat enough veg - I am also becoming a dab hand at creative soup making! I avoid 'diet' foods like the plague - to my mind they have been mucked about with far too much. Instead I have a small amount of the real thing.

I also have an added incentive, for the next 6 weeks I am going to our local college to be a 'guinea pig' for a final year beautician course. I will get a back massage and body buffing sort of thing followed by a proper facial .. now that along with the exercise and the diet will make me just totally gorgeous don't you think

I had a friend who gave herself a 'treat' every time she lost half a stone. She would go and have a pedicure to celebrate after 6 months she had the most beautiful feet and was a shadow of her former self
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool
Cookiecate is female  Cookiecate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 12:44 PM

What a lovely idea, I have decided to dye my hair when I have lost a stone

Looking after horses is a work out on its own I have friends who do it and they have to get up at silly o clock and work really hard before going to work, I have great respect for them but they seem to thrive.

I do envy you your guinea pic course and know that you will be totally gorgeous and the envy of us all. You will probably end up looking like those absolutely gorgeous women who haven't aged one bit since the 60s.

I agree diet foods are so full of sugar and preservatives they really are a con. Even low fat yogurt is full of sugar.

With the ~Atkins your appetite just goes and therefore there is no picking or snacking in fact I have to be strict with myself to drink all of the water you are supposed to drink and eat enough to keep the furnace burning.

Best of luck with your body buffing and mud packs and please let us know how you are doing each week will look forward to it.
Kitty
London
Kitty is female  Kitty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 01:03 PM

My sister tried the Atkins diet a few years back and did really well, and few of her friends tried it.

I am lucky as i have managed to keep around the same weight from my late teens, apart from having babies of course

I am however on my feet a great deal with my job,i do eat healthy foods but i still have treats most days.

good luck with your diet
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

03-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Thanks for your good wishes Kitty.

My daughter and youngest son are like you they have never had a weight problem, however, my eldest son who lives in America has gained a lot of weight mostly through beer and pizza and has recently become gorgeous again by doing Atkins.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cookiecate ->
my eldest son who lives in America has gained a lot of weight mostly through beer and pizza and has recently become gorgeous again by doing Atkins.
It happened to me when I was last in Florida. Free eating meant I hated to leave anything and piled on a few pounds in the process and have been trying to shed them eversince. Arthritis doesn't help with exercise.
Cookiecate
Chatterbox
Blackpool

03-02-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
It happened to me when I was last in Florida. Free eating meant I hated to leave anything and piled on a few pounds in the process and have been trying to shed them eversince. Arthritis doesn't help with exercise.
When hubs and I visit America we both lob on the weight so much food is put in front of you that even we who are big eaters go pale but can leave nothing.

Graham I know what you mean. I am trying to lose enough so that I can go swimming. I am told that cyling can be good.

Trouble is we have worn ourselves out with hard work now I need replacement knees.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 07:33 PM

I'd like to wish everybody good luck with their diets. I, like Kitty, have maintained pretty much the same weight from my teens (between 7 and 7½ stones), but I only have a sandwich at lunch-time, a reasonable evening meal, and occasionally a snack at around 9 p.m. I don't have anything else in between.

Hope Pixie joins in with this thread because she's lost around 70 lbs over the last two years or less, so I'm sure she'll have some tips.
stablelady
Angus, Scotland
stablelady is female  stablelady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Cookie! I suppose I do a version of the Atkins diet because I have to strictly limit the amount of carbohydrates I eat or on the weight goes!

I had a small stables until last April, I had retired from my 'real' job but took a couple of livery horses along with my own. Up at 6am mucking out, turning out. Did a bit of schooling and breaking, I was really busy all day long. However, it was playing havoc with my body so I was glad when a young friend and her partner bought the whole shooting match and have undertaken to look after my horses until they need the 'deep six'
Mark you, I miss it!

I am trying to keep up the exercise , you mentioned swimming, think I might just give that a go, will make enquiries about that during the week. Lets keep in touch and encourage each other, it really does help!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2012, 08:21 PM

Cate, what would your meal plans be for the day while on the Atkins Diet?

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top