Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
SageCat
Suffolk, UK
SageCat is female  SageCat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 01:36 PM

'SAD' People

Does anyone here suffer from Seasonal Adjustment Disorder?

I'm a self-confessed SAD person and do struggle once this time of year comes around when the days are getting shorter and greyer. It's the lack of bright light that affects me ~ and it's horrible! I get very tired and feel the need to sleep much more than in Spring or Summer, and my moods match the weather, so it we get several days of constant grey, then I just go downhill!

I have got a SAD lamp, which certainly helps, but when I got it out last week, it doesn't appear to be working. I think the battery may be damaged. I've tried re-charging it, but still nothing. Bugger!! I've just e-mailed the manufacturers to see what they suggest.

My very worst months are January and February ............... they are such a huge struggle. If I could hibernate, I would!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 01:47 PM

Re: 'SAD' People

No, not SAD, though I don't care a lot for the dark days of deep winter. My mood lessens with the daylight and I find I feel a little better after the shortest day. However, there is no doubt that January is a truly **** month - maybe a few sunny crisp days but usually just miserable.

Have you thought of getting a dawn simulator alarm which wakes you naturally with increasing light, rather than a horrible cruel noise, followed by having to switch on and cope with a horrible bright light? They are a much gentler way to greet the day.

There is a downside - as you get used to waking with the light, you will find that you can never sleep in in the summer!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 02:15 PM

I'm SAD sod too, . . I hate this time of year.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 02:56 PM

I never thought I would, but I think I do - I really don't like the winter. Also, I am vit D deficient, so maybe a clinical link there :-/
SageCat
Suffolk, UK
SageCat is female  SageCat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 03:13 PM

I agree Azz. I think there's a definte link with lack of Vit D ................ which reminds me to go and get some Vit D tablets! I took them last winter and think that they did help a bit.

DM ............ I have thought about a dawn stimulator, but I need a more prolonged exposure to the light. You don't stare at the white light though, and it's not at all harsh ......... you just need it in the room. I used to use mine just on the edge of my vision when I 'put my face on' in the mornings, and then continue with it as I ate my breakfast. The light really does feel as though you're being bathed in sunlight, which is what I crave more and more as the winter progresses. By the time January comes around I've sooooooo had enough of the dark and begin to feel definitely 'bat-like'!!
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 03:17 PM

I was suggesting the dawm simulator as an add on rather than a replacement for the SAD light SC. I usually forget I've got mine until, err, Novemebr I suppose. But when I do find it, and set it up, the days seems much nicer.
I don't need to wake at a specific time now, so don't use it as an alarm, per se, but it's still a gentle way of starting the day.
SageCat
Suffolk, UK

10-10-2009, 03:19 PM

Hadn't thought of that DM! I'll have to check the prices ........... or put one on my list for Santa!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 03:22 PM

Don't you get vit D from sun lamps ?
SageCat
Suffolk, UK

10-10-2009, 03:24 PM

I think you do, but I don't like the idea of using them now after all the cancer scare tales you hear.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2009, 03:33 PM

I've got a Dawn Simulator I think they are great for 'training' you to get up at a certain time. I don't really use mine now as I start getting up when it gets light outside now.

I don't like sun lamps either. Best thing is to go for a holiday failing that some vit d would be good - maybe get the docs to test your blood for vit D levels? Last time I had mine checked it was trace! (Couldn't find any! lol)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top