UK
Willow is female 

20-06-2012, 04:09 PM

Re: Dogs unrestrained in cars!

I have just discovered this YouGov e-petition which is worth signing

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/16697
inthemoment777
United Kingdom
inthemoment777 is male  inthemoment777 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2012, 01:18 AM

I seem to be in the minority here and will be classed as an irresponsible dog owner.

My dog sits in the front seat, sticks her head out of the window. I have had my dog for seven years, she is clipped into a harness, sometimes on short trips, quiet roads she is not in her harness but she is well behaved and never jumps on to where I am sitting.

Yes I am running the risk of injury to her if there was a crash. But I feel that I am limiting the risks and dive slowly and confidently.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2012, 09:47 AM

My Dog/s sit in the Tail Gate of either my Estate Car or the Lairds Landrover. He also sometimes has a Sheep in there if need be, I can just see that being tied in. When My Dogs were Young they went in a Metal Crate that I put in the back of the Cars. I've always trained them to not jump over and in 40+ Years.....Not one has.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2012, 10:10 AM

I always restrain my dogs in the car.

Years ago when I worked with dogs a friend was on his way to a dog show travelling down the M1. He and his wife were in a van and the dogs were crated in the back.

They were involved in an accident, the wife was killed and he was injured. The dogs were all safe. It could have been very different it the dogs had been loose and free to escape.
janet gracey
london
janet gracey is female  janet gracey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Yes dogs and cats should always be restrained in cars. Far too dangerous not to. My brother usually takes me and my cat to the vet's. He is always in a basket in the car. My cat would jump out of an open window first chance he got. You even see people driving with dogs on their laps. Asking for trouble.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by inthemoment777 ->
I seem to be in the minority here and will be classed as an irresponsible dog owner.
My dog sits in the front seat, sticks her head out of the window. I have had my dog for seven years, she is clipped into a harness, sometimes on short trips, quiet roads she is not in her harness but she is well behaved and never jumps on to where I am sitting.
Yes I am running the risk of injury to her if there was a crash. But I feel that I am limiting the risks and dive slowly and confidently.
Do you wear a seat belt yourself, or just "drive slowly and confidently"..?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2012, 01:14 PM

Here it is law that all dogs must be restrained in cars, either in a crate or
with one of those "frame things" to stop them jumping out of the back. It is also illegal to have a dog in the front seats, there are big fines if you are caught breaking this law. As far as I personally am concerned this is a good law, not only for the dog but for the humans too. I much prefer to know that my dogs are safely contained in their crate and not being thrown about when going round corners etc, or that if something untoward occurred, as it often does when driving, that they are not going to panic and jump over seats etc.

Recently a friend's daughter in USA was involved in a car accident, her dog was unrestrained in the back of the car. When the rescuers came and opened the car doors the dog jumped out and ran only to be hit by another vehicle and so badly injured it had to be put down.

I care very much about my dogs and their safety as well as my own is important to me. Therefore no matter how short the journey, they travel in their crate.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2012, 05:38 PM

My cat is always in his cat carrier when he has to go to the cattery or vet. Just would not be safe to have him jumping about, accident waiting to happen
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-10-2012, 11:06 PM

Our dog was always suitably belted up in the car, especially whilst driving.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top