Join for free
Page 48 of 52 « First < 38 46 47 48 49 50 > Last »
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 01:24 PM

Re: China Must get It's Come-uppance?

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
The problem as it it and it's a major one .. almost everything available to buy that is not food has the label Made In China on it. Until major manufacturers return to their previous production factories, then we are stuck with China and that really galls me and then some!!
I don't think it's too much effort to really try and buy British goods as far as possible. It's worth making an effort to try to boost our economy!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I don't think it's too much effort to really try and buy British goods as far as possible. It's worth making an effort to try to boost our economy!
Very true although it's far from easy sometimes - with technology being a prime example.
If only the likes of Marks & Spencer would realise that a return to their "Made in Britain" stance of old would very probably help revive their fortunes.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Very true although it's far from easy sometimes - with technology being a prime example.
If only the likes of Marks & Spencer would realise that a return to their "Made in Britain" stance of old would very probably help revive their fortunes.
That's an excellent idea!

I would also like to see supermarkets with highlighted "Made in Britain" shelves for their goods too.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 03:00 PM

I would also like to see supermarkets with highlighted "Made in Britain" shelves for their goods too.
Me too.

It saddens me immensely to see German-owned supermarkets proudly advertising their support of British produce when our own home-grown retailers largely ignore the what could be significant advantages of doing so.

More so now than at any time I can remember I see their being huge potential for British manufacturers and British retailers accross many sectors.

Just like I am prepared to pay a little more for great-tasting meat where the producers take great pride in the animals & processes involved, I would be prepared to pay a little more (and do when I can) for British made good quality clothing, homewares, electricals and much more.
I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 03:23 PM

I would certainly welcome that. I would make my way there first to see what home-produced items were available.
Unless these were excessively more expensive that foreign-made goods, I'd buy them.

A very necessary adjunct would be a separate part of the building assigned to French products...
for obvious reasons!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 03:23 PM

Me too.

It saddens me immensely to see German-owned supermarkets proudling advertising their support of British produce when our own home-grown retailers largely ignore the what could be significant advantages of doing so.

More so now than at any time I can remember I see their being huge potential for British manufacturers and British retailers accross many sectors.

Just like I am prepared to pay a little more for great-tasting meat where the producers take great pride in the animals & processes involved, I would be prepared to pay a little more (and do when I can) for British made good quality clothing, homewares, electricals and much more.
I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Our Tesco has mostly british produce in
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 03:58 PM

What a good idea.
I am sure more people would support Bntish goods if it was made clear where they are.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

11-11-2020, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Our Tesco has mostly british produce in
Lucky you for having a Tesco. Until later next year our nearest one is 35 minutes + away, so it's CoOp or Lidl for us.
When I go to Tesco though their stuff is from all over the world; just look & see where most of the veg. comes from that could be British and don't even talk to me about mushrooms!

Seriously though, far too much of what we use is not made here any more.
HP Sauce is made in the Netherlands; Daddies sauce is made in Poland; Terrys chocolate is made in France; and when it comes to even basics like shoes or clothes well!
Find British-made if you can with even trusted brands like Clarks shoes being by far mostly made abroad and Tesco shool trousers being made in IIRC Pakistan last time I looked (in disgust).

China has made such huge inroads into so much of what we (and the world) buys because they have used their plentiful cheap labour.
That is still true but is slowly changing.

Here we stand at the crossroads of great opportunity presented not only by Brexit or by the viral rampage sweeping the world, but also by a new industrial era and the effects of climate change.
More and more we turn to cleaner energy than the old practices of using fossil fuels, which is leading to (for example) a global change in transportation.

The electrification of cars is just the start; Rolls Royce is leading the world with small nuclear-powered technology and we as a country are also pioneering renewable power sources for shipping and for air transport (see SALMO and e4tech.com for examples).

These aside, we need a return to production of the things we need rather than a continued huge reliance upon imports.
The rest of the world is catching up in terms of labour cost but also the global impact of imports will soon become a factor if current trends continue.

We should act now while we can.

*Rant over*
Thanks to those of you brave enough to read, rather than say TLDR.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 04:26 PM

Lucky you for having a Tesco. Until later next year our nearest one is 35 minutes + away, so it's CoOp or Lidl for us.
When I go to Tesco though their stuff is from all over the world; just look & see where most of the veg. comes from that could be British and don't even talk to me about mushrooms!

Seriously though, far too much of what we use is not made here any more.
HP Sauce is made in the Netherlands; Daddies sauce is made in Poland; Terrys chocolate is made in France; and when it comes to even basics like shoes or clothes well!
Find British-made if you can with even trusted brands like Clarks shoes being by far mostly made abroad and Tesco shool trousers being made in IIRC Pakistan last time I looked (in disgust).

China has made such huge inroads into so much of what we (and the world) buys because they have used their plentiful cheap labour.
That is still true but is slowly changing.

Here we stand at the crossroads of great opportunity presented not only by Brexit or by the viral rampage sweeping the world, but also by a new industrial era and the effects of climate change.
More and more we turn to cleaner energy than the old practices of using fossil fuels, which is leading to (for example) a global change in transportation.

The electrification of cars is just the start; Rolls Royce is leading the world with small nuclear-powered technology and we as a country are also pioneering renewable power sources for shipping and for air transport (see SALMO and e4tech.com for examples).

These aside, we need a return to production of the things we need rather than a continued huge reliance upon imports.
The rest of the world is catching up in terms of labour cost but also the global impact of imports will soon become a factor if current trends continue.

We should act now while we can.

*Rant over*
Thanks to those of you brave enough to read, rather than say TLDR.
I'm not averse to buying goods made in the Third World, where labour is cheap, just as long as it is made for British companies who pay taxes here.

Obviously, the more that things are made in this country, the better, but one step at a time.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2020, 06:31 PM

China is the new Russia it can do anything and get away with it.
Every one is scared of them.

Page 48 of 52 « First < 38 46 47 48 49 50 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top