Join for free
Page 20 of 33 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 08:20 PM

Re: Senior Home Office official QUITS after vicious rows with Priti Patel

Sir Alex Allan made repeated attempts to interview former top Home Office civil servant Sir Philip Rutnam, but was stymied

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-patel-inquiry

Legal and Whitehall sources have revealed that Sir Alex Allan sought to interview the former top Home Office civil servant Sir Philip Rutnam about his dealings with Patel, but was blocked by government officials.

Allan’s bullying inquiry was launched by the prime minister following the resignation of Rutnam over’s Patel’s alleged behaviour and he is suing the government for constructive dismissal. Sources say Allan was informed he could not interview Rutnam for his independent inquiry because of the legal action.

Allan, however, felt that his inquiry was being denied potentially crucial evidence. The inability of the prime minister’s former ethics adviser to question Rutnam also prompted a “spirited row” within the government’s legal department.

Following Friday’s disclosure that Patel’s behaviour had broken the rules she claimed she was unaware of her conduct. If Allan, however, had been allowed to question Rutnam it would have clearly undermined her defence.

It has also emerged that Allan’s investigation was conducted far more quickly than previously reported and that it was on the prime minister’s desk as early as April. It means Johnson elected to sit on its damning findings for seven months until pressure grew so intense that he had no option but to make its findings public.
What a way to run a government - no wonder BJ is losing both public and private support by the hour .....

BJ's rapidly becoming Trump while Trump is becoming Mussolini .....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 08:42 PM

BoJo popularity? Depends who you ask and what you ask.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Oh dear, have I upset your delicate sensibilities?
Shame.
Not.

Sensible, sane people are capable of recognizing that weasle words are not conclusive evidence you know so I am sure that I'm sane; are you though for believing those weasle words? - and watch out!
Your delicate demeanour is about to be truly assaulted soon.

Ooh and you're obviously not aware that quite a movement is afoot to reform the quangoist civil service.
Including our own Prime Minister who said he wants reform.
Oh egotistical soul ... I care not about the vagaries and inbred inherent deficiencies of the civil service, or indeed our esteemed 'let me ring Carrie and ask a friend' PM Boris ... I merely state the obvious conclusion to be drawn from such pandering and protectionism.
Bullying in the workplace must surely now be deemed a thing of the past.

Forsooth, you are well suited to a career on the stage, It is afterall pantomime season.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 09:14 PM

Jeremy Clarkson puts it into perspective:
"A senior civil servant who resigned from the Home Office in a huff has said that his former boss, Priti Patel, was horrid.

"Sir Philip Rutnam went on the news this week to say she used to shout and swear and that she was frightening."

Clarkson continued: "At this point I did start to think, 'Oh for God's sake, you're a grown man - grow a pair'.

"Everyone who's seen Sir Humphrey in Yes Minister knows that it's a civil servant's job to stop ministers from doing anything."

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-...-latest-update

They do sound like wimps, these civil servants!
I wonder if the ones who are married are the traditional hen pecked husbands.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2020, 10:19 PM

Substitute minister for master. It is a master and servant type relationship. Vestiges of upstairs downstairs.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Oh egotistical soul ... I care not about the vagaries and inbred inherent deficiencies of the civil service, or indeed our esteemed 'let me ring Carrie and ask a friend' PM Boris ... I merely state the obvious conclusion to be drawn from such pandering and protectionism.
Bullying in the workplace must surely now be deemed a thing of the past.

Forsooth, you are well suited to a career on the stage, It is afterall pantomime season.
Is there any chance of you debating the subject at hand rather than trying to decry the disseminator of information?
You know; play the ball - not the man?

It's a surefire sign that you have no reasoned argument when you must resort to personal comments rather than the subject at hand.

For somebody that doesn't care you seem determined to participate and to be somewhat odious in your responses too.
You're obviously hurting at my pointing out the obvious, which is (again) that sensible, sane people are capable of recognizing that weasle words are not conclusive evidence.
If you don't like that being pointed out to you I politely suggest you try not dishing out unpleasantness.
In your case the truth obviously hurts.

Basing your argument upon pure supposition - which the whole report seems to be - was never going to end well.
As obstructive, disingenuous civil servants are beginning to find out.
At long last.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Substitute minister for master. It is a master and servant type relationship. Vestiges of upstairs downstairs.
Methinks that both Yes Minister and The Men From The Ministry are far more accurate descriptors for these grey men of the civil service.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
There was an interesting discussion on LBC about this. About how status makes it ok to bully but if a cleaning supervisor were to act the same way and shout and swear at staff they would not last long and would be disciplined for bullying. Helps to have powerful friends.

Very true.
Zaphod
Lincs UK

22-11-2020, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Very true.
Besides the obvious hearsay:

What if those staff were persistently not doing their jobs and ignoring the management plus the managers had no recourse of reprimand as in the civil service?
Are you ignoring that these people largely think themselves (and indeed are ) untouchable?

Even the usually anti-government Guardian has published a report which includes this, attributed to Lord Baker:
"“Just remember as home secretary there will be 50 sets of officials working on schemes to undermine your government and destroy your political career, and the worst is not only will you not know who they are, but neither will they.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...dnt-bully-them

The manager of cleaners could progress actions against incompetent or deliberately obstructive employees.
A minister cannot.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2020, 11:52 AM

Methinks that both Yes Minister and The Men From The Ministry are far more accurate descriptors for these grey men of the civil service.
All ministers are like Jim Hacker?

Page 20 of 33 « First < 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top