Join for free
Page 7 of 17 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 10:42 PM

Re: Hernia

I am living proof...

Guinness is hernia medicine! I feel wonderful!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2019, 11:38 PM

I've only just seen this Floydy and I'm really sorry you are going through this. I'm really disgusted with your employer's policy concerning sick leave. I am sure there must be some employment law they are breaking but I don't know enough about the loopholes. Your union should be aware of the rules.

I know you need the money but your health is more important than the job. Your health is the priority.

My dad had a hernia, I think it was the same kind you have and it happened in his fifties. He was very strong and always lifting more than he should. He categorically refused to have an operation, hated the medical profession and didn't trust surgeons. He wore a hernia belt and that seemed to manage it. He was still very active. In fact he continued to lift things with the belt holding it all in (not recommended!).

Perhaps you should take it easy until you know exactly what is going on down there.

Has your doctor said swimming is unsafe? Cycling must be ok because my dad used to cycle a lot.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 08:49 AM

Hope you get sorted soon Floydy...it sounds so painful
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I thought about that, Kazz, and I've looked at special 'boxer shorts' and weird-looking jockstrap-type(!) things to try out but they're so expensive and might not work.
With this being an inguinal hernia, i.e. affecting the groin area rather than the stomach, it tends to move around and would be difficult keeping it in one place all the time.
I've found that when I stand up I need to put my finger on it to stop it popping out and when I sit down again, the same in reverse. The most ideal solution would be to walk around all the time grasping my groin, but for obvious reasons I can't. I'd get arrested lol!
My last hernia was in the lower abdomen so a belt was no use so I got a contraption that was supposed to keep it in but that only increased the discomfort. I was self employed so had to work through it for a few weeks. My only relief was to lie down on my back every so often and let it pop back in. One of the dangers you have to look out for is strangulation which can be serious. Due to the heavy nature of my job I was off work for 10 weeks after the operation.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Hope you get sorted soon Floydy...it sounds so painful
Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I've only just seen this Floydy and I'm really sorry you are going through this. I'm really disgusted with your employer's policy concerning sick leave. I am sure there must be some employment law they are breaking but I don't know enough about the loopholes. Your union should be aware of the rules.

I know you need the money but your health is more important than the job. Your health is the priority.

My dad had a hernia, I think it was the same kind you have and it happened in his fifties. He was very strong and always lifting more than he should. He categorically refused to have an operation, hated the medical profession and didn't trust surgeons. He wore a hernia belt and that seemed to manage it. He was still very active. In fact he continued to lift things with the belt holding it all in (not recommended!).

Perhaps you should take it easy until you know exactly what is going on down there.

Has your doctor said swimming is unsafe? Cycling must be ok because my dad used to cycle a lot.
Thanks Summer, Annie. Very much appreciated. I'll get back to good health eventually!

Annie - Yes, I didn't actually do an update on here since I spoke with the Ops Manager on Friday, except in a PM to someone. I forgot to add it to this thread.

Without having to type it all out again, the gist of it is that my boss (or the one who we answer to who works days) is now fully supportive of my situation. He understands that there is absolutely nothing I can do about this problem until I get the operation done and the subsequent recover time. Only then will I be able to return to work.
He's satisfied (and furthermore, concerned about me) that if i keep submitting updated absence notes, that will be fine.

I went to doctors on Friday afternoon and they are organising a new one for a further month off work which I can ask a colleague to take in for me on Monday night.
They do allow up 26 days off with pay apparently, so all being well everything will be sorted by then.
I sincerely hope so because although it's great not to be at work (and on nights at that), I'm already beginning to look at a few walls which may need to be climbed with my extended fingertips!

Yesterday my usual "Saturday Gang" actually came out to my neck of the woods and we had two or three beers in my local pub, somewhere only me and my wife go to for meals. Also, I "won't be seen" by anyone from work in there! My wife joined us later and we had a nice afternoon meal.
It's good when you have friends like that who will go out of their way to see how things are with you

I managed three pints of Guinness, drank each pint very slowly and I had no real after effects except for feeling a bit bloated - and when that happens it pushes the hernia out again which causes all the pain. I don't normally drink Guinness but it's nice and smooth for my stomach area at the moment, so I'll stay with that on the rare occasions I may be able to venture out. I was feeling very tired afterwards and relaxed watching a horror TV series at home.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

15-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
My last hernia was in the lower abdomen so a belt was no use so I got a contraption that was supposed to keep it in but that only increased the discomfort. I was self employed so had to work through it for a few weeks. My only relief was to lie down on my back every so often and let it pop back in. One of the dangers you have to look out for is strangulation which can be serious. Due to the heavy nature of my job I was off work for 10 weeks after the operation.
Exactly my problem with it too, Scot (your name sounds familiar btw - have I seen you on an exercise forum in the past at all? I would have had a different username though).

Yes, it's not worth shelling out the money for something that wouldn't be comfortable or even work properly. As you rightly say, the inguinal groin hernia I have (and you also had) tends to move around a bit, unlike a stomach-based one and the contraption wouldn't be suitable.
I'll just carry on carefully pushing the thing back in when it rears it's ugly head!
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Exactly my problem with it too, Scot (your name sounds familiar btw - have I seen you on an exercise forum in the past at all? I would have had a different username though).

Yes, it's not worth shelling out the money for something that wouldn't be comfortable or even work properly. As you rightly say, the inguinal groin hernia I have (and you also had) tends to move around a bit, unlike a stomach-based one and the contraption wouldn't be suitable.
I'll just carry on carefully pushing the thing back in when it rears it's ugly head!
Not me Floydy. I have never been on an exercise forum.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

15-09-2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
Not me Floydy. I have never been on an exercise forum.
Lol thanks bud. Thinking about it, I think it was "Scot44"
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2019, 10:17 AM

Lol thanks bud. Thinking about it, I think it was "Scot44"
Great Scot!

My best wishes Floydy. Hope you get sorted soon mate.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

15-09-2019, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Great Scot!

My best wishes Floydy. Hope you get sorted soon mate.
Ta buddy Until then I'll carry on going nuts around the house.
This must be what it feels like to be retired

Page 7 of 17 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top