Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 10:34 AM

Re: Coastal rock pools

I have to say when taking grandchildren to the coast in Wales/Devon/Somerset over the last three years it has been quite difficult to find anything much in the rock pools.
This summer during a morning on a part of Woolacombe beach which was full of children only one tiny crab was found.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 11:44 PM

Interesting that it seems to be only here that is affected. I need to do some research to find out what is the cause.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2014, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Interesting that it seems to be only here that is affected. I need to do some research to find out what is the cause.
Maybe it's all the cut backs and the high cost of living here drove them out Ania, and with the new water tax coming in soon they just couldn't take any more.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Maybe it's all the cut backs and the high cost of living here drove them out Ania, and with the new water tax coming in soon they just couldn't take any more.
You could well be right, Jem!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 12:20 PM

An RSPB lecture i attended about seabird decline cited sae temperatures warming in the North sea moving the sand eel population ever Northwards meaning birds were having difficulty finding food. Also it is reckoned a new passage has been opened for bird migration from the USA as Pacific Loons are now being found around the UK, again global warming is given as a cause.

Perhaps your coasts are being exposed to changes, and it may be affecting the sea-life. ?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

14-09-2014, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
An RSPB lecture i attended about seabird decline cited sae temperatures warming in the North sea moving the sand eel population ever Northwards meaning birds were having difficulty finding food. Also it is reckoned a new passage has been opened for bird migration from the USA as Pacific Loons are now being found around the UK, again global warming is given as a cause.

Perhaps your coasts are being exposed to changes, and it may be affecting the sea-life. ?
Yes, I am convinced it is some sort of environmental change. After discussion today with a couple of friends, we suspect it may be due to rapidly increased fish farming in the bay.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 06:14 PM

Yes, I am convinced it is some sort of environmental change. After discussion today with a couple of friends, we suspect it may be due to rapidly increased fish farming in the bay.
That wouldn't account for the lack of sea life I noticed in the rock pools along the Pembrokshire coast and Devon/Dorset in the last few years.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

14-09-2014, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
That wouldn't account for the lack of sea life I noticed in the rock pools along the Pembrokshire coast and Devon/Dorset in the last few years.
Ok, maybe back to the drawing board! But it is a contender for this area. Can you think of other environmental changes in those areas?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

14-09-2014, 11:58 PM

Ok, maybe back to the drawing board! But it is a contender for this area. Can you think of other environmental changes in those areas?
...no Ania because I don't live there or know the places well. I only know I took the little ones where I took their father some years ago and we had difficulty finding any life in the rock pools.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top