Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 06:08 PM

Philae has landed

Philae the landing craft carried by Rosetta for 10 years has landed on a Comet.

BBC News

European Scace Agency webcam
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 06:17 PM

Re: Philae has landed

Brilliant............technology, science , mathematics and above all MANKIND got it there.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 06:55 PM

Quite an achievement to land a small fridge sized object on a comet . It will be interesting to see what it finds there
Well done to all concerned, I think my near neighbours at QinetiQ may have had a hand in it somewhere...
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 07:04 PM

Amazing achievement! Something good to report, unlike most of the daily news.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 07:09 PM

Photo of the comet from 3 km up
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Brilliant feat by brainy people. Makes you wonder why or how we
are so brilliant compared to all the other animals who live on Earth.
We are amazing really.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 08:05 PM

Amazing achievement, well done to all involved in this bit of history...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-11-2014, 08:29 PM

A staggering achievement indeed...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2014, 09:05 PM

I am not knocking this great achievement, just saying that that’s all it was, an achievement against all the odds, and at a bargain price when compared to previous missions. We get to see a few snaps of the rock and that will be that, but you’ve seen one rock you’ve seen them all, might even see a little worm like bacteria thing and as Clinton did with the Mars bacteria he got all excited and announced to the world that we have proof of life on Mars, turned out it was a bit of dirt on the camera lens or something similarly embarrassing, leaving red faces in the Whitehouse and at NASA.
In 1969 it cost the US people between $20 and $25 billion to supposedly get to the moon, I can’t do the maths on that but it’s a hell of a lot of money in todays terms. What did that benefit mankind I ask you in all honesty besides making a lot of newly formed companies very wealthy, the public had to be content with the non-stick frying pan and the remote controlled TV.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2014, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
In 1969 it cost the US people between $20 and $25 billion to supposedly get to the moon, I can’t do the maths on that but it’s a hell of a lot of money in todays terms. What did that benefit mankind I ask you in all honesty besides making a lot of newly formed companies very wealthy, the public had to be content with the non-stick frying pan and the remote controlled TV.
Sorry but you are talking out of your bottom. The space program cost Americans less than 1% of GDP (compared to nearly 4% in US and 3% in UK spent on defence) and it produced a hell lot more that non stick fry pans and remote controlled TV.

Just a few I can think of that came directly from or were greatly advanced by the space program:

GPS
Satellite Communication
Insulation
Solar Panels
Water purification/desal
Digital Cameras
MRI
Eye Scanning
CCD chips

No doubt if you use Mr Google you can find a hell of a lot more.

Landing a space ship on a comet is a wonderful achievement, pity they parked it next to a cliff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top