Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2014, 07:24 PM

Re: Philae has landed

Well Bruce I know you are always on the ball with your figures but I got the cost of the Apollo project from Wikipedia, I didn't just pluck them out of the air.

“The final cost of project Apollo was reported to Congress as $25.4 billion in 1973.[74] It took up the majority of NASA's budget while it was being developed. For example, in 1966 it accounted for about 60 percent of NASA's total $5.2 billion budget.[75] A single Saturn V launch in 1969 cost up to $375 million”
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2014, 07:46 PM

Nice parking. A kick in the balls to those who think we have been `visited` by ET. It took years to get to a comet next door-how long to visit a life capable planet?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2014, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Nice parking. A kick in the balls to those who think we have been `visited` by ET. It took years to get to a comet next door-how long to visit a life capable planet?
Exactly, I think if there is anyone out there they know what a shower we are and are keeping their distance, and who could blame them.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2014, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Exactly, I think if there is anyone out there they know what a shower we are and are keeping their distance, and who could blame them.
Absolutely. There are probably intelligent beings somewhere laughing their little hats off at us…and keeping a safe distance away...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2014, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
You never heard of Wormholes and Stargates then, tis a conspiracy tha knows

Off to fold space.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Well Bruce I know you are always on the ball with your figures but I got the cost of the Apollo project from Wikipedia, I didn't just pluck them out of the air.

“The final cost of project Apollo was reported to Congress as $25.4 billion in 1973.[74] It took up the majority of NASA's budget while it was being developed. For example, in 1966 it accounted for about 60 percent of NASA's total $5.2 billion budget.[75] A single Saturn V launch in 1969 cost up to $375 million”
I was not saying your figures were wrong but they are peanuts compared to the US GDP which is something like $16+ TRILLION (give or take) per annum a few $billion is pocket money. You have to look at it in % terms.

Mind you that was not my main argument anyway.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 08:34 AM

Contrary to popular belief, I don't think that the non-stick frying pan had anything to do with NASA. Teflon was invented by the DuPont company and although it was used by NASA in various applications, it was not invented by them.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 09:32 AM

Correct, however these are some of the benefits from Apollo
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 05:58 PM

If this is all about furthering scientific knowledge, what's Richard Branson's reason for space exploration? Is it just to make even more dosh than he knows what to do?
I read after his recent disaster and a death, quite a few people who had booked his journeys into space, have pulled out and want their money refunded.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
If this is all about furthering scientific knowledge, what's Richard Branson's reason for space exploration? Is it just to make even more dosh than he knows what to do?
I read after his recent disaster and a death, quite a few people who had booked his journeys into space, have pulled out and want their money refunded.
He's a businessman so obviously he's after making money but he's also hoping to meet a demand and no doubt there will be some technological progress made.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top