Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 03:34 PM

Planning your retirement

When people are planning for retirement, what priorities do they have? Obviously financial aspects are significant, but apart from that what do you most want to get out of your retirement? Do you have specific aims/plans or do you just wait and see?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 05:09 PM

Re: Planning your retirement

Ania I have already retired but hadn't made any specific plans because I had not intended to retire quite so soon .
When the option came to take redundancy or change my hours completely I chose the former.

I had lots of ideas for things I wanted to do but many of these were put on hold when the twins arrived two and a half years ago quickly followed by Hannah

The main thing though is most of the time I don't have to do anything, unlike being at work no one is making demands of me so I can be spontaneous and do as as I please .

What do I want most from retirement, exactly what I have got the freedom to please myself
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 06:40 PM

I decided to retire early because my wife, who is several years older than me (believe it or not I was her toy boy when in my 30's..), was worried that her health might fail before we could spend a few years together just pleasing ourselves. We were very lucky as it happens, in that the decision was made and I wound up my small business just as the recession hit, so if we had not made that decision when we did we would have gone bust!

But in answer to the question no, we had no definite or grandoise plans for our retirement, just a desire to do what we fancied, when we fancied, and that is how it has turned out, so really the greatest gift of retirement for us is freedom..
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 06:55 PM

I'm retired also and apart from doing the best about a bit of a pension, I didn't make any specific plans. My husband retired early, a good few years before I did and I didn't want to retire really, so I worked beyond the required 60 years for a female. My daughter has young children found she was on her own and needed to be in full-time work (I didn't) so I decided to retire and help look after her two boys who at the time I finished were not yet at school. No real regrets about that, but it does mean any plans of ours have to be worked around the children and my daughter's needs - it is a necessity at the moment. I've adapted now and there are days when we can please ourselves, but we have fallen into a pattern we can work with and made the adjustment.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

05-08-2012, 07:00 PM

We've both been retired for a few years now and had no definite plans for our retirement. We just enjoy the fact that our lives are not governed by the clock.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 11:01 PM

I am way off retirement, but worry what will happen when I become Non Productive. (sorry for going against the grain).
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 11:15 PM

Well ... as I've no private pension scheme ... and the goverment keep moving the goalposts and my retirement age , once 60, has already been hiked to 65, could be 66 now ... I tend to think of it as something that is rapidly receding over the horizon.

There is only one good thing out of this though ... in a converse sort of logic it makes me younger ... like a perpetual youth.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 11:21 PM

What I want from retirement is Freedom I want to get a life! I want to be able to please myself. There are so many things I want to do which I can't do now, like read a book, go out with a friend, make friends, go to the gym, visit friends and family down south, sit in the garden and relax, the list is endless There's no way I'm going to carry on working until I'm 66 in 9 years time, I'll be fit for nothing by then I have 3 private pensions which I should be able to manage on at 66 and will have to sell my house for a cheaper one to fund the early retirement unless of course I win the lotto So I'm already starting to think about this now
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 11:23 PM

I say go for it guys and enjoy it ... if the goverment had their own way we'd all be working till the day we drop.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2012, 11:32 PM

Morticia, I think I will never retire, but if that means I will expire on my feet, still functioning under Gods sky, then so what, so many have exited, oblivious to their place in time, it will be a small mercy. (sorry for the Double Dutch). Lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top