Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2014, 05:49 PM

Histrionic Personality Disorder

Without going into details, I know of someone that I suspect is a "sufferer" of Histrionic Personality Disorder so I'm wondering now just how to deal with this.

This person appears to want the full attention and, I presume, the possible adulation of a superior and to me that indicates a significant distress or impairment in social, work or other areas of functioning in a team environment.

Basically this means he / she can't function properly where there are perceived threats to his / her standing in the eyes of a superior. Geddit?

Without meaning to, or trying to sound superior, I've encountered this before many times but, until just now, I've not realised that it is a recognised "syndrome"!

The symptoms can be to express contempt or impatience by the 1st party about a superior to a co-worker in such a manner as to foment a feeling of less worth in that co-worker, possibly resulting in a confrontation which is based on the delusion of the 1st party!

Complicated innit?!!

My past experiences of what I now realise is a known disorder has confused my thinking.

Does the co-worker ignore his syndrome or does he / she bring his / her misgivings to the attention of the superior in question?

That'll get you thinking..........stevmk2
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2014, 08:24 PM

Re: Histrionic Personality Disorder

Will get back to you on that one stevmk2......
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2014, 08:46 PM

It's got me thinking that I can't be bothered to decipher that one Steve.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2014, 08:52 PM

A slap round the head should sort it Steve
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2014, 09:11 PM

Is this a case of them supplying the bullets for you to fire ?, id tread carefully and ignore their ramblings and don't go reporting back to the Superior.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 06:26 AM

Too deep for me Steve.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 08:59 AM

I think these people are also known as creeps. They suffer with severe insecurity, low self-esteem and anxiety which seems to manifest itself in jealousy envy and an over-vigilance to status and who is and isn't on top at any one time. Fired by all their personality defects (as above) and in this respect they can be extremely perceptive.

I've worked with one - she had this incredible capacity to (imagery coming up) throw a grenade into a room stand back as it exploded and watch with a smug smile on her face as everybody rushed in and got injured in the blast and and claim "nothing to do with me I wasn't even there" and martyr herself in the clearing up operation. Makes me so mad to think about it now - especially how on occasions I also got sucked into it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 09:55 AM

Maybe the metaphorical grenade was thrown to suss out who was wearing a metaphorical Flak Jacket.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 09:58 AM

Damn "metaphorical" that's the word I was trying to think of.

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Maybe the metaphorical grenade was thrown to suss out who was wearing a metaphorical Flak Jacket.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2014, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
I think these people are also known as creeps. They suffer with severe insecurity, low self-esteem and anxiety which seems to manifest itself in jealousy envy and an over-vigilance to status and who is and isn't on top at any one time. Fired by all their personality defects (as above) and in this respect they can be extremely perceptive.

I've worked with one - she had this incredible capacity to (imagery coming up) throw a grenade into a room stand back as it exploded and watch with a smug smile on her face as everybody rushed in and got injured in the blast and and claim "nothing to do with me I wasn't even there" and martyr herself in the clearing up operation. Makes me so mad to think about it now - especially how on occasions I also got sucked into it.
Your analogy is spot on, I've had that misfortune of knowing someone just like that .....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top