Join for free
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 09:30 AM

British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

I'm always interested watching the Pointless quiz show how often British Asians struggle with simple questions on "popular culture". Not just the odd question but all (or almost all) the questions on the board.

40+ LBC presenter Maajid Nawaz couldn't pronounce the name Baddiel (as in Baddiel and Skinner). He also hadn't even heard of Danny Baker until the controversy the other week.

Romesh Ranganathan's mother said at the week-end she had never heard of Game of Thrones.

These days (at least) I suppose it's a lot easier to avoid British "culture" in favour of "Asian culture" with the variety of TV and radio channels and the internet.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 09:35 AM

Re: British Asians' Knowledge of Our "Popular Culture".

How do you pronounce Baddiel? I wouldn't have a clue either if it's one of those weird posh names without logical phonetic rules. ["It's bouquet!!"]

Game of Thrones? Seriously.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 09:36 AM

I'm not Asian and have never heard of either of these people .
Cold Feet
New Member!
Berwickshire
Cold Feet is male 

28-05-2019, 09:43 AM

I thought Game of Thrones was a video game but I now know its a TV show on satellite TV. I didn't know it was classed as British culture.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 09:47 AM

Hi

My knowledge of popular culture is also negligible.

I do not watch soaps and so called Celebs are a complete mystery to me.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
How do you pronounce Baddiel? I wouldn't have a clue either if it's one of those weird posh names without logical phonetic rules. ["It's bouquet!!"]

Game of Thrones? Seriously.
Have you really never heard of David Baddiel?
Gravitas
North England

28-05-2019, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I'm not Asian and have never heard of either of these people .
That is weird.
Gravitas
North England

28-05-2019, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
I'm always interested watching the Pointless quiz show how often British Asians struggle with simple questions on "popular culture". Not just the odd question but all (or almost all) the questions on the board.

40+ LBC presenter Maajid Nawaz couldn't pronounce the name Baddiel (as in Baddiel and Skinner). He also hadn't even heard of Danny Baker until the controversy the other week.

Romesh Ranganathan's mother said at the week-end she had never heard of Game of Thrones.

These days (at least) I suppose it's a lot easier to avoid British "culture" in favour of "Asian culture" with the variety of TV and radio channels and the internet.
Oh yeah, I forgot to add I was listening to a Muslim on an LBC phone-in this morning and he said he had never heard of Noel Edmonds.
Cold Feet
New Member!
Berwickshire
Cold Feet is male 

28-05-2019, 09:54 AM

Danny Baker was on BBC radio back in the 1990's and also did some TV work. I don't know what he does now.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Oh yeah, I forgot to add I was listening to a Muslim on an LBC phone-in this morning and he said he had never heard of Noel Edmonds.

If he's a new(ish) refugee why would he know of Noel Edmonds ???

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top